Basic Questions re: SuperAutomatic

Noonievut

Aug 30, 2006
Canada
Visit site
I've heard that superautomatics (i.e. the Saeco Incanto line...I'm interested in the under $1,000 machines) are bean to cup, which I understand, but I wasn't clear on the amount of prep and clean-up time involved (with each use of the machine, whether one cup or say five). I know you have to descale and do other periodic maintenance, but what I'm looking for is a way to have my espresso without much prep/clean-up as I simply don't have time. I won't expect a perfect shot each time, but I do want nice shots and cappuccinos.

Any feedback or 'superautomatic 101's' would be appreciated.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I have a Solis Master 5000 sitting on my counter at home. I'm literally beating the hell out of it on purpose. I haven't descaled it in almost 3 years. My water runs around 7 to 10 grains so I know it's taking abuse. I also haven't used a cleaning tablet for 3 years either. I have dropped the screens every 6 months to check on it and thats it. I've even ran the puck drawer so full the machine can't push them out and stops on a error.

I'm pretty impressed with my Solis. For $500 its a great little machine. I'm waiting for the day it totally quits. Then I will send it in to be refurbished and then it will be treated with respect.

The reason for the abuse is because we sell that line of equipment and I like to know how much abuse it can really take.

futurecoffeeshop

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
Superauto

I have had a Jura S-9 for about 4 years. They run closer to $2,000 but I really like it. I had a manual machine which made awesome espresso but I didn't have time to use it the am. The required cleaning and de-scaling is no big deal and other than that you empty the tray, pour in beans and fill the H2O. The H20 is my only complaint as the reservoir isn't huge and it can't be plumbed in. All in all I've got my money out of it as it eliminated my daily am $3 shop espresso (unless I go by a good local shop in which case I have 2 espressos :) )

Cheers