Best coffee from Los Angeles

newbie2778

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I'm going to visit my bf to NY. He loves to have his foamy espresso every morning so I thought I could bring him some coffee beans as a gift. Does any of you know where can I buy the best tasting coffee (specially for espresso) in Los Angeles, or close from LA, that you cannot find in NY?
I'll really appreciate your responses.
Thanks!,

wikiexpert001

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
It seems Starbucks, Peets and Seattles Best are some of the most popular coffee shop franchises in LA. There is also Kelly's, but no Dunkin Donuts everywhere.

FCN

newbie2778

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Thank you guys for your responses. I know Starbucks has good coffee (one of my favorite places), but again, I wanted to get him something he could not find in NY, you know, like a souvenir, and you can find one Starbucks in every corner over there (and anywhere), so I bought him some beans from Urth's Caffe, and he liked it!.
But thanks!,

truebean1

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
If you can get to Urth than you are so close to the best two places for beans in that part of LA. To truely impress hit up LA Mill or Intlligentsia. They are wayyyyy ahead of the curve in their purchasing, roasting and serving/extraction knowledge. If you love those big brands you named, then these will be indescribable extascy. Carve out some time to enjoy them both and their two different approaches to this art. You will want to spend more time at LA mill as it is more intimate with a very upscale/eclectic environment. Good luck and send some beans back via mail they both ship beans anywhere last time I checked.

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Newbie,

If you're in the SF Valley, try the Sheman Oaks Coffee Roaster (I'm not affiliated. They just do a great job!).
13567 Ventura Blvd. Sherman Oaks, CA 91423.

They've been around for 25 or so, years.

Here's a link to their site.

I apprenticed there for almost 2 years before the original owner, Dick Healy, sold it. The buyer was an idiot, and nearly ruined it, but it's gone to new owners who are doing much better.

I'm roasting in LA now. ;)

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I apprenticed there for almost 2 years before the original owner, Dick Healy, sold it. The buyer was an idiot, and nearly ruined it, but it's gone to new owners who are doing much better.

I'm roasting in LA now. ;)

Hey Poison,

When my wife and I opened our coffeehouse in Studio City, Dick and his wife Jane, were the only other cafe owners who came in, sat at the bar and introduced themselves (You could tell who the other cafe folks were, 'cause they'd take notes as they walked through.).
I asked Dick, if after all the time he'd been running his shop - Did he have a life. He looked me in the eye and said, "no.".

I figured that was okay, as long as I knew it from the start.

btw, what's the name of your shop. What's the location?

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Dick's a good guy, who roasted really well, and spawned nearly every other non-good looking (Handsome), non-elitist (intelligentsia) roaster in SoCal. I don't have a retail location yet...but I will.