Best Coffee Maker?

aabreetech

Nov 2, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
Everyone is talking about french press coffee makers and how simple they are. Ask yourself this. How fresh is the coffee for your french press. If it real fresh did your grind it yourself? How did you heat your water? Where did you put your carafe? Did you pre-heat your carafe? All this you have to clean up afterwards. All this takes time and space. I love the french press when I am on vacation, because I can pack it in my suitcase. Stove top espresso makers are OK too.
At home I prefer the Capresso Coffee Team. It’s easy, just add water, put in a filter (I like the brown paper) slide the basket under the grinder and 8 minutes I have fresh coffee. Its not the cheap grind n brews that are made in China. These are made in Europe, and they last. If your growing stuff in your filter you had better check your water supply. Had to get that in! Just kidding.

Stewart705

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Best coffee maker

First you have to start with fresh beans. I mean you either roast them yourself or get someone to do it for you and they must not be more than a week old or they are stale. :!:
Secondly you have to have a good grinder. :wink: Not the whirlyblade type that pulverizes the beans.That creates landlslide rubble of boulers to fine powder.No good. You must have consistent size particles. They are about 50 - $100.
A good cuppa starts with fresh beans, ground properly for the type of maker (coarse for french press etc,) fresh filtered water with the minerals left in,and taken to 195-205 f degrees.(most drips dont get there). 6 oz of water for each tablespoon of ground coffee.
A vacuum pot is the best coffee I have ever had. The french press is my second choice only for the fact that the coffee is dirtier.Drip is last choice because the filter traps too much flavor.

Stewart

stovetoper

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Best coffee maker

It is always funny for me to read about someone trying to find the best coffee maker. Best of course means different things to different people. Some want a stylish pot, others want one that functions seamlessly, while still others want speed. Personally, it is all about taste to me, taste and ease of use.

My preferred taste pot is a Faberware $19 Linens N Things stovetop percolator. I do not think that any technology available has improved upon this simplest of coffee brewing methods.

As a biologist, I am keenly aware of the extensive use of plastic elements in all automatic drip coffee makers. It seems that if you heat plastic it bleeds into the coffee. Some people can even taste it. I can, but that is not my main worry, my concern is the healthful nature of the coffee I am drinking. I don’t want the chemicals that are given off when the plastic is over heated or when it is old. The engineers understand this oh too well also, so they design the auto drips in such a way as to keep the temperature lower. Their heat restricting designs tend to undercook coffee, giving a bland, less than full bodied weak cup of java. The all popular Starbucks taste came as a result of over cooking African beans which are naturally bitter. The same result can be had in a fool proof way with any modern stovetop percolator. I do not like the plug ins because the elements are cheap and heat unevenly leading to poor coffee. A stove on the other hand is designed to do a much better job, taking advantage of the stove technology. My own stove, and electric, has auto simmer and does a perfect job in the 7 minutes required for the perfect cup. What I like most is that I can get the worst coffee and it tastes like the best auto drip, or better, it tastes as good or better than starbucks! Oh, and I love this, the whole room smells like coffee as it brews.

whfite

Oct 28, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Turn to the Dutch

A percolator? A PERCOLATOR??? Go to your room, young man!

My personal choice in a drip machine is a Technivorm, which can be bought with either glass or thermal carafe. I use a glass one (KD741) but tip the coffee into a Zojirushi thermal pot as soon as it is done.

Or you could use a Chemex but it will take you some time to learn to do for yourself what a good dripper will do for you.

Or a french press if you like rich flavor and don't mind the cup being a little muddy.

But never...Never...NEVER a percolator.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Yes, when done correctly, Percolators are great! I agree! I use a small disk filter in the bottom of the basket so less grinds get into the coffee....preserving the pot a bit longer.

I didn't realize all auto drip units had plastic inner parts.

I use a manual drip at times but I need a thermal carafe because the coffee cools too fast. Maybe a warming plate....but them the coffee will get bitter. Hmmm

ArtieD2

Dec 3, 2006
Jacksonville, Fl
Visit site
richedie said:
Yes, when done correctly, Percolators are great! I agree! I use a small disk filter in the bottom of the basket so less grinds get into the coffee....preserving the pot a bit longer.

I wonder about that. Not saying you're wrong . . . I just wonder. Take a look at this thread, (which no one has responded to), and see what you think. We have a nice Melitta percolator, and it doesn't make as good a coffee as our Mr. Coffee auto-drip. (btw - Thats "Melitta", the brand, not Melitta, the style.)

I'd really like to hear folks views on this, as I was surprised by our "test".

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Since writing this I started roasting my own coffee and primarily make espresso, moka pot coffe and brikka coffee. Once in a while I make manual drip (melitta) with a fine grind, and sometimes french press. I can't seem to get vac pot coffee right.

semmas

Sep 22, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
Best Coffee Maker

I'd say it's either the Bunn or a Saeco coffee maker. I saw them at www.thecoffeebrewers.com - Remember though, you get what you pay for (i.e. if you don't spend any money (only $20) you get a piece of junk - if you spend a little bit more money ($100 or so) you get good quality - and these makers are built to last - anyway good luck to you! :D

MichaelZ

Jan 5, 2007
Visit site
Best Coffee Maker

:D
Now this is kind like discussing motor oil or religion, but let me put in my two cents. I have at least 6 different coffee makers hidden in cupboards at home. The one I use most often is a Bosch with a carafe. I really enjoy the coffee and the glass caraf does not alter the taste of the coffee, something that a stainless steel caraf does, in my humble opinion.

Now that being said, whenever I entertain, I bring out the Bodum Santos. This vacuum pot truly produces a delicious cup of coffee, and it's so much fun to watch. My only complaint was it required much more coffee to get the same taste, which is why I continued to search. Give the Bosch a try.

shahzadmasih

Jan 9, 2007
UK
Visit site
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

paulc35

Jan 28, 2007
Wv
Visit site
Not Bunn

God I have been away from bunn for so long.. I can't believe what I got after replacing my Cuisinart Brew Central. I can't believe this brew temperature is even close to 200 degrees. I doubted it so much that I got another bunn...Well anyway these coffee makers other than speed DO NOT COMPARE to the likes of Capresso, or Cuisinart...If you have never owned a Cuisinart, or a Capresso then you have no idea of the difference...My vote for best coffee maker drip style goes to cuisinart brew central,