Best Coffee Maker?

G

I am in the market for purchasing a new coffee maker. I was told by my friends that even if you have the best beans for coffee that if you don't have the right coffee machine then your not experiencing coffee at its best.

What does everyone think? If I'm looking for the best coffee maker, I mean TOP NOTCH coffee machine for my house what machine would be recommended. Your help and opinions are very much appreated. Speak out and let me know what you think would be a fine coffee machine.

My last coffee maker was a twenty dollar coffee maker, I enjoyed it but now that I'm purchasing my own coffee beans over the Internet instead of the standard store brand coffee's I think I better make sure I'm experiencing the coffee to its finest!

Koffey

macchiato

In my honest personal opinion, I beleive that Krups definatly makes the finest in coffee makers, as for which one you want, they have a huge selection with tons of features.

I recommend getting the one with every feature that you could ever use.

mivox

Mar 10, 2003
here
Visit site
If you're talking coffee, not espresso, a drip coffee maker is best, and then you just need to make sure the water isn't heated *too* hot... anything in the $50+ range would probably do a great job.

My stepmother used a Chemex coffee maker for years... it's a weird hourglass looking pitcher, with a wooden hand grip, and funky fold-your-own conical filters, but she swore by it. Now she uses a teeny little generic personal 4 cup machine, and doesn't seem to miss the Chemex, so I guess it's all personal preference.

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I am also in the market for a coffee maker!

attention all Europeans:
I need a coffee machine that is 220 volts, first and foremost. But I want said coffee maker to have a carafe, not a glass pitcher, and I want it to have a programmable function too. Can anyone help? I have looked all over the place in the UK and even the web and it seems the Americans pwn the coffee machine market. :(

I have used machines that have gimmicky features, like a "flavour-lever" or some crap like that that supposedly adjusts the water-to-coffee level. this is bollox because you are using the full amount of water along with the full amount of grounds you just put in, no matter what some little lever thing is doing (which broke when I was trying to wash it BTW).

One "feature" that is nice is the automatic grind machines, that is if you don't already have a grinder.

And please, help me find a 220 volt programmable, carafe coffee machine!

colin99

Apr 17, 2003
Canada
Visit site
macchiato said:
In my honest personal opinion, I beleive that Krups definatly makes the finest in coffee makers, as for which one you want, they have a huge selection with tons of features.

I recommend getting the one with every feature that you could ever use.

Yikes! Say it is not so! Krups? I think that Braun, Delonghi and Krups
have the absolute worse record for their appliances and after sales
service.

Serious about a real coffee maker? Try the NEWCO OS8
Thermal Carafe drip brewer -- 40 ounces of HOT coffee brewed
in 7 minutes. Brew basket temp: 198 degrees F!
Uses a commercial grade basket filter and commercial grade parts..
Price? about 149$

Colin

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Oh - I figured I would update this thread, saying that I did indeed buy a coffee machine from Morphy Richards. It is a combo unit (coffee + espresso). I didn't find a machine to my specs above until AFTER I bought my combo unit; I just saw it in Marks and Spensors of all places (a clothing and grocery store - not much inbetween). That's alright though, I like making espresso now.

Now to stay more on topic, I don't know which machine is the BEST, but I can only tell you my experience. I just went from a cheapy $15 machine to this $75 one. To buy just the coffee maker half of my new machine would be about $55. (they are the same except the cheaper decanter in the combo unit). I have noticed that I need more coffee grounds with this new one compared to my cheapy. I really dont' know why, they both claim to be 10 cups. Maybe this new one assumes bigger cups. I would assume my new one to be more effiecient, since it has the filter area sorta "sealed" inside, I'm guessing so you can control how much steam escapes with their "flavour selector" dial. I saved the old coffee decanter, I think I may do a little experiment to see if the 10-cup volumes are the same!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
here is a site for a coffee maker that was just given to me....
http://www.evasolo.dk/products-cafesolo.html
I also have some bodums french presses...and a bodum vacuum pot...I also have a krups aroma control pot(brews into a s/s carafe..was given..wouldn't have bought it) out of all of them I like the eva, french press, and the vacuum pot...they are more work..ie clean up but well worth it.
word to the wise...don't spend oodles on the press...I bought my first press in 89...still have it...bought a melior and paid out the nose(nickel plated and engraved antique...first company to invent the press) and my ex broke it by accident(that is why she is my ex..j/k) point is the $19 press I bought first is still in use! Oh well hope this helps :wink:
MAN...I have had way toooo much coffee today!!!!!!!! :shock:

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
UPDATE

Don't get the Morphy Richards brand. Actually, you can't anymore becaues they stopped selling that model. Good thing, too, since ours melted. It wasn't like we had it on all day or anything, it was just in the middle of brewing when this awful stench of burning plastic wafted through the room. Then the crackling and popping sound started. I thought the glass pot was breaking, but when we turned it off and looked closer, the heating pad-thing had melted the plastic around it. Not good! We took it back to the store (it was still under warranty) and got a Delongi, which I guess someone said had a bad repair record. I like it so far, in fact it is nicer than the old one, although there is this one area that looks like something should go in it... but I can't figure out what... and this 'area' wasn't shown in the directions! It cant' be for liquid because there are bare screw heads in it... I dont' know.

aabreetech

Nov 2, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
I have a Capresso Coffee Team +, thats 3+ years old and you couldn't pry it out of my cold, dead hands. This machine has a conical burr grinder built right in. You can program it for different cup strengths and different pot sizes, to make the perfect coffee in the morning. Set the timer, add the water, put in fresh beans and in the morning, at the set time the machine turns on, grinds the proper amount of coffee for the programed strength and pot size and starts brewing your fresh coffee. 8 minutes later your fresh pot. Turns itself off after 2 hrs.

dspender

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bunn Home Brewer!?

It produces the fastest consistent cup of coffee I've ever had. It is Starbuck's recommended home brewer of choice.I got one then my sister had to have one, my parents bought one, one of my friends bought one. They all love them!

Yes its low on features and doesn't have pause `n' serve but who needs it when a 5 cup pot is done in less than 2 minutes! :)

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
I have used this Bunn drip machine before.
It is the fastest I've ever seen and makes great coffee. there are a few problems I think with it, but I plan to wait until I have the time to give it a full review.

Beachgirlcsus

Nov 12, 2003
Visit site
Best Coffee Makers

Ok, so you want a machine that has a thermal carafe? Good Idea, ever since I got one for my dorm room I can never go back. Krups and Starbucks are the best two I have found and I have never had problems with service with either company. Starbucks big claim is that thier coffee machine does not take out all of the beans natural oils leaving a better tasting coffee, think french press. I know this is true because I actually sat down with both machines, brewed coffee, and compared it (yes, I am sick). The only problem with the Starbucks one is that sometimes the oil is so strong it upsets my tummy ... simple solution: use two filters. Also, my friends mom got this awesome machine that would grind the beans in the morning and brew the freshest coffee ever! Down side: it was not a thermal carafe and it scared the heck out of everyone when the grinder turned on in the morning ... hehehe. Just some suggestions ...

dspender

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
This brings up a problem I have with thermal carafes -- I can never keep them clean! They are hard to get inside and stuff. Eventually mine end up with gunk in there and my coffee doesn't taste so good.
I must admit that occasionally I'll forget to empty it out overnight and that doesn't help any :/