Best Espresso machine under $1k

bomadian

Apr 17, 2008
Memphis, TN
Visit site
Hey guys and girls, i''m looking to upgrade from my Krupps to something that handle more volume (takes me ages to put together a strong coffee due to the fact I have to do three runs).

Can anyone advise me on what to get for 1K or less? I like my coffee strong and usually use 3 shots when making a Cappuccino or four shots when making an iced latte so something that could handle double shots at once would be ideal. Thanks in advance, any help in this daunting area would be great.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Depends on how much effort you're willing to give..... You can get a nice semi-auto like the Silvia or Gaggia Classic. You can also buy a decent featured automatic in that price range, which will give you "good", predictable and consistent results.

What kind of Krups do you own? Maybe you can tune it up a bit to get better results and save some money. Later!

IndianaTim

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Take a look at the Expobar Office Pulser for a HX machine for under 1k. You can pull shot after shot and steam a pitcher at the same time.

I have one, I'm extremely pleased with it. Last weekend I had 4 house guests over for breakfast, plus my girlfriend and myself. I made a double Americano, a Latte, a Cappuccino, another Latte, another Americano, and a double mocha for myself in succession, with no down-time. I keep a 2 shot portafilter in my group head, so these were all 2+ ounce shots.

I used to own a coffeehouse with a 2 group Astoria. I missed being able to make drinks myself, and my solution was to find a machine that I could put in my home that would reproduce the same quality and experience.

The Pulser runs about $800 these days. You will need a grinder that produces the consistency of a professional machine. These tend to run around $300 for the Rancilio Rocky, so you might have to deal a little or wait for a "refurb" to keep under your $1k.

Tim

benoded

May 12, 2008
Visit site
I just Bought a Saeco spidem Villa Black for $429 at Costco and they have a lifetime return policy. I have to say I love the machine it makes perfect espresso every time and very easy to clean. You cant beat it for the price and I talked to the salesman and he said that this is basically the same thing as some of the more expensive machines except for the LCD readouts and the option of putting decaf in separate compartment.

IndianaTim

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Wow. Gorgeous machine, Jason. Thanks for the link. If I was in the market, I'd probably choose one from this company over my current machine. Very classy!

Tim

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
Take a look at the Expobar Office Pulser for a HX machine for under 1k. You can pull shot after shot and steam a pitcher at the same time.Tim

I've had one of these in daily use for five or six years. I'm very pleased with it and the Ranchillio grinder is great. I forget which model I have but it was over 300 back when I got it. Kinda tall and weighs about 30 lbs. I always thought it was a dumb name but a good machine. I'd recomend it to anyone willing to invest in making great espresso. And that Italian one in the link is a beauty. The Expobar looks more like something you'd see in a coffee shop. Also they are rated for light commercial duty.

Ron

Ron

hollywood

Mar 24, 2011
Boise, ID
Visit site
+1 to all who say Krups.

I personally have used Krups, and they are awesome machines. There are many to choose from and many brand names. And it really comes down to your coffee tastes. Because one espresso machine won't make espresso exactly the same was as another, or another brand. Do a little bit of research first. But Krups would be my first choice. :)

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I have to say I'm quite partial to the Rancilio Silvia. Granted by the time you purchase the Rocky grinder that accompanies the machine your going to be real close to your $1,000 marker. I picked one up for my mother in-law a few years back for Mothers Day and she's never stopped saying how wonderful it is. So she loves the Rancilio too!

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I'm quite partial to the Rancilio Silvia. Granted by the time you purchase the Rocky grinder that accompanies the machine your going to be real close to your $1,000 marker. I picked one up for my mother in-law a few years back for Mothers Day and she's never stopped saying how wonderful it is. So she loves the Rancilio too!

My first love..Silvia (in the coffee world o'course!).
We happen to have one of Silvia's most prolific writer/supporters among us, before he upgraded that is! in fellow member Randy G. He's who I blame for my current addiction..his journals providing me with knowledge and confidence in a completely new world that still challenges and rewards me every day. Slave to the bean. :)
I haven't kept up with the most recent offerings in the sub 1K range, but for a starter machine that will whip you into submission in a quasi-masochistic but GOOD way, Silvia is your gal! :D

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well not that everyone is a super auto lover, but I'm looking forward to purchasing a Cimbali Q10 for my house. Granted she's going to be quite a bit higher then this current topic is set for but hey when you love the product why should you be limited to just a $1000 or less machine.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
+1 to all who say Krups.

I personally have used Krups, and they are awesome machines. There are many to choose from and many brand names. And it really comes down to your coffee tastes. Because one espresso machine won't make espresso exactly the same was as another, or another brand. Do a little bit of research first. But Krups would be my first choice. :)

Awesome? Really? You are the first person I've heard say that. Most refer to them as Kraps. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you are OK with decent coffee and minimal effort/maintenance then go with the lower end units. If you want something that will last years and be capable of fantastic spro then you have a certain level of equipment you must reach. Most people seem to think an espresso machine is just a delivery system of hot water/steam, but that is far from the truth. Consistency in brew temperature/pressure are mandatory for the first steps to good spro.