Best Grinder for a syrupy espresso

john236236454

Aug 31, 2022
San Diego
Visit site
Hi guys,

what grinder do you suggest for a syrupy espresso?(that will not cost an arm and a leg)

I was reading that the Baratza Encore has some limitation since you can only use it in pressurized portafilter.

I am plaining to use a Gaggia Classic Pro (and maybe convert it to Gaggiuino)

John

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Honestly, the Encore may work but not really a dedicated espresso grinder. The Sette is the entry level Baratza grinder. It really depends on what you define as an arm and a leg :)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Keep in mind the coffee being used is the main contributing factor (mainly process method and roast level based on what I've used), but I do indeed get more texture with conicals. Not a drastic difference compared to the flat burr electric I have using 'traditional' 64 mm burrs, but a quality hand grinder is just tough to beat. My current (last) hand grinder is the Helor 106 that uses 71 mm Mazzer Robur burrs. It is costly, but clearly designed/built for this lifetime of use. Previously I had a JE-PLUS from 1ZPresso and it was fantastic, especially for the price point.

Will attach pics of a typical extraction as I am really into what I call insane ristrettos... using dry processed coffees taken just to full city and typically am at a 1:1 in 60+ seconds, as in 19.2 g in/out in that time range. I don't like to see the 1st drop until around 20 seconds. I rarely bother paying attention to time/volume/ratios, but will once in a black moon out of curiosity. That type of extraction is intense, but quite smooth/syrupy.

20220914_070944.jpg20220914_071008.jpg

Last edited: