Best Machine for a Great Cup of Regular Coffee

walkteach48

Dec 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
On this website, I posted on the Coffee Machines and Espresso Hardware form this morning. I think I may have chosen the wrong forum. My husband and I are looking for a great cup of coffee. Until now, we have been using a Capresso grind and brew type machine, and the coffee has been good. We are looking for great!

We just bought the Jura Capresso s9. I am beginning to think that this is really just an super espresso machine, and we will be unable to get a great cup of regular coffee out of it. We set the machine for extra mild, coarsely ground the beans and set it for 8 ozs. of water per cup.

Question(s): Is this machine capable of making a great cup of regular coffee? If not, what machine should we get? We would like a machine that grinds and brews automatically.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Walkteach

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well, I hate to break it to you but your right on money for the S9. It's nothing more then a high end espresso maker. Yes it can do coffee, but it will never turn out to be a great cup. I'm assuming your using the Capresso CoffeeTEAM Luxe.

If so try placing a paper filter from the Krups drip coffee brewer over the gold filter on your brewer. You may even want to cut it shorter then the gold filter to keep it from overflowing. This might make it overflow but if not you most likely will end up with a better cup. One of the biggest problems I have found is the gold filter doesn't allow for optimum extraction time. Water just pours through it. But if you can slow it down just a little you might get a better cup.

Also make sure you using fresh roasted beans. Don't buy it at the supermarket. Find a roaster and buy it fresh. This too will help out the overall quality.

walkteach48

Dec 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi CCafe,

Thanks for your suggestion. We will be returning the S9 and trying filters in the Capresso CoffeeTEAM Lux. We believe that we have been using freshly roasted coffee. We order it monthly from Porto Rico, a New York City based coffee roaster. At their instruction, we freeze bags not in use in freezer bags. The bag we are using is refrigerated. We are going to a coffee roaster today and trying other beans.

Thanks again for your help.

walkteach

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I never freeze coffee nor do I recommend it. I think it would be better for you to order every couple of weeks. I tell people who are close to roasters to get enough for 1 week. This way you always know it is fresh. That, and if by chance you were to get a bad batch you only have a weeks worth of frowning and not a month!

You may also have an issue with your grind. The coarse grind - depending on how coarse - is better suited to French press. That is going to tend to be thin if brewed in a drip or pressurized machine.

You may want to experiment with grind settings and see where that gets you.

If that doesn't get you the cup of coffee you want, definitely look at a different brewer.