Better than Jamaican Blue Mountain?

haytoniaho

Jun 21, 2006
NJ
Visit site
Yes I have tried Jamaican blue mountain and yes its delicious!

But i recently read someone's review which said that it can sometimes be really just bad and not worth the insanely high price. Well I don't know about all of that but I wanted to know if anyone knows of any other kind of coffees equally amazing but maybe not so expensive and hyped-up?

The review I read said that Jamaican blue mountain is definitely not the best coffee in the world, and that there are better ones out there, better priced, but he/she didn't say what they were!!! So does anyone else know?

haytoniaho

Jun 21, 2006
NJ
Visit site
well i'm not sure if i have established a core favorite roast, blend, etc. I'd like to know what other people recommend. Any kind! And helpful recommendations for espresso blends would be also helpful, but it doesnt have to be limited to that. After reading that review, it just got me thinking that i need to check out whats out there

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
Okay, well, my personal favorite is a Guatemalan Huehuetenango - specifically from panthercitycoffee.com - they are local to me, so I can always get it really fresh - but during a busy week I will sometimes have it shipped to me and it comes in the mail only about 3, maybe 4, days since the roasting date.

Blue mountain and others

Here are my two cents on this:

1- Blue mountain is acknowleged to be, along with Kona and Tarrazu from Costa Rica, the best coffee in the world.

2- the problem is not with Blue mountain or Tarrazu for that matter. The problem are the irresponsible marketers (or crooks) who sell it without any truth in the packaging: they say is BM but never say how much real BM is in it.

right now, there is twelve times more TARRAZU being offered around the world than it is possible to produce. figure that one out!

3- So the key to enjoy a true Blue mountain or Tarrazu is to find a reputable seller who will stand by their product and give you your $35 back if the pound of coffee they sold you is not up to par.

Might sound like a gamble but it is possible. i have a customer whose love is divided between my Dota-Tarrazu and Blue Mountain at $35 a pound. he gets both and is very happy. Let me know if you want me to ask him where he buys the BM.

CelticRavenVA

Apr 3, 2007
Visit site
+1 on what Dota Coffee said...

Another issue with Blue Mountain is, Jamaca is not a great atmosphere to store coffee in, (green that is) something to keep in mind is the harvest for Blue Mountain is in the Jan/Feb time frame, if you are seeing lots of BM coffee, in september or so be very careful of who they are coming from. Very shortly we should see this years crop start poping up. I am quite excited.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Coffees from different regions often change a bit in flavor year to year, and more importantly, they taste different depending on the farm/co-op/estate etc. Some of my current favorite coffees are:

Guatemala Finca El Injerto
Rwanda Karaba
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe
Sumatra Gayo Mountain

The above are available at www.stumptowncoffee.com for mail order

Kenya AA Kieni
Columbia Finca El Palacio

The above are available at www.ptscoffee.com for mail order

Ethiopia Yirg - Idido Misty Valley
Panama Bambito Estate (best of panama #2)

The above are available at www.intelligentsiacoffee.com for mail order

These are just a few, and remember that only a dedicated artisan roaster can take great green coffee and roast it to perfection. Oh ... and then there is preparation ... ;)

- m

Tough_Duck

Apr 13, 2007
Canada
Visit site
Mabey I''m just a Jerk...lol

I''ve been roasting coffee for 15 years now and with internet commerce I''m seeing some wierd stuff. What''s with all the funky names attached to coffees?
I see millions of pounds a year. We have everything from Jamacian Blue Mountain down to Vietanmese Robustas. We have grades from these countries such as AA or AB, Supremo or UGQ. We have types of beans like washed or unwashed, milds or strictly hard bean. There is a great variety of this type of nomenclature. But in all my years I''ve never seen a bag come in with \"Guatemalan Antigua chimbutu Valley estate strictly east side of Juans donkey\" written on the side. I see internet articles where the guy is talking about some farmer and he''s dropping all these names like I''m a fool if I don''t know who they are. Pedro Fillipe was just telling me the other day that the \"yaya come binways\" are excellent this year. Perhaps you are going to tell me about the romance of coffee and the culture that''s evolved. I just keep thinking of the emperors new clothes.
We have one customer that buys five different green coffees from us. Yet he sells about ten different regions of coffee. We all get a chuckle out of that.
So maybe I''m just being a big jerk, but with all the hype there''s bound to be a backlash some day.

When asked for a good coffee I usualy just say. Ethiopian Yrgacheffe and Guat Antigua mixed 50/50 roasted to a colour a little darker than milk chocolate. (45 if you own an Agtron E-10)

brock20

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
yea

agree with the varied blends that can be bought unknowingly...
personally i LOVE kona fancy and estate java... the ethiopian j is great as well

tsmalls0

Oct 18, 2007
Washington
Visit site
Agreed. You have to be carefull when buying Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee as well as Kona, and the other high quality brands. Truth is that most of these coffees are grown in regions where expansion of the crop is not possible so the amount of coffee entering the market every year is limited and thus the high price. If I am going to spend that much for coffee, I would do my best to research the site thorougly before buying from them. If they 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee and that''s whats represented in picture and actual product when you get it, then I would say if the price is right, continue to buy from them.

hardwire

Dec 13, 2006
Visit site
I agree that Jamaican Blue Mountain (100% pure)

and

Kona (100% pure)

are the 2 best and my 2 favorites.

The Blue Mountain is my regular coffee at home. Simply, the BEST!

I order from http://www.fastcafe.com once a month.

Sometimes I do try some other types of beans, but I still can't beat the Blue Mountain, it's almost like drinking hot water because they're no acidity or bitterness, which is what I really like about it.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Re: Mabey I''m just a Jerk...lol

Tough_Duck said:
I''ve been roasting coffee for 15 years now and with internet commerce I''m seeing some wierd stuff. What''s with all the funky names attached to coffees?

But in all my years I''ve never seen a bag come in with "Guatemalan Antigua chimbutu Valley estate strictly east side of Juans donkey" written on the side. I see internet articles where the guy is talking about some farmer and he''s dropping all these names like I''m a fool if I don''t know who they are. Pedro Fillipe was just telling me the other day that the "yaya come binways" are excellent this year. .

When asked for a good coffee I usualy just say. Ethiopian Yrgacheffe and Guat Antigua mixed 50/50 roasted to a colour a little darker than milk chocolate. (45 if you own an Agtron E-10)

I couldn't agree more with all the wierd names, but I think this is just another marketing technique designed to appeal to "coffee snobbery" and persuade people to buy the product. In facvt reading some articles, you would think that some roasters get their bags of coffee from a certain spot in a 50 sq mile plantation...this spot is shaded differently, watered by a sylvian mountain spring, has extra special soil and no insects. The plants fed on liquid ambrosia of the gods! I suppose we have cup of excellence to thank for this :-D

To talk of coffee generically is the right way e.g. Yirg or Guatemala, Costa Rica etc.., to specifically mention a posh sounding estate, is usually marketing, unless it's to identify a particular batch in a particular year from a particular suppliers....as we all know the quality of any coffee changes from crop to crop.

To me even the poncy roasting names irritate, like full city, vienna and other more colourful eiuphemisms I have heard. I'm a simple soul and stick to.
  • Light
    Medium
    Medium - Medium dark
    Medium Dark
    Dark
    Very Dark
Like you I often describe a reference colour related to milk chocolate, because that's almost universally the same colour e.g. slightly darker/lighter/the same as milk chocolate.

So back to blue mountain...best coffee in the world, well no not usually, just a price that reflects limited production/supply. I was once fooled many years ago, not any more. A good Yirg, or a nice Guatemalan, indeed many other coffees, well roasted can often blow it away. I visited Cape Verde once, what a load of hype for a Coffee that generally is nothing special, but again price reflects limited supply..

So much depends on the roasting as well, that often class coffee can be turned into rubbish and some coffees you think you might not like, roasted differently can suprise you..

If I could be given the choice of
$20 per kg coffee roasted okish
$6 per kg coffee roasted by a roaster with godlike roasting abilities

I know which coffee I would choose 8)

tsmalls0

Oct 18, 2007
Washington
Visit site
I get my Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee twice a month at http://www.blumcafe.com At their prices I can afford it, plus their coffee is certified, too. I am not that loyal when it comes to the kona. I usually drink that when I can't get my JBM fix, but since finding BlumCafe, it has not really been a problem getting the coffee. :)

ElPugDiablo

tsmalls0 said:
I get my Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee twice a month at http://www.blumcafe.com At their prices I can afford it, plus their coffee is certified, too. I am not that loyal when it comes to the kona. I usually drink that when I can't get my JBM fix, but since finding BlumCafe, it has not really been a problem getting the coffee. :)
hahaha, now I know where that little burlap bag sample came from.

BC16OZJBM.gif