bialetti Mukka Express

semajrn

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have tips about the Bialetti Mukka express pot... the one that has a steam valve in the top section and makes cappuccino? Mine is so inconsistent. Sometimes it will make a delicious cappuccino, and the next time, using the same technique, coffee, and milk, it will fail!!! What's with this pot? The company even sent me a new valve, and the same thing happens!!!

Noentrobcap

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
(I've edited this post)

Original post:

Hi to everyone from a Spanish newbie... I have the Mukka and I have to agree...Yes it is a temperamental coffeemaker. I only use it occasionally because of this, and, must say, never make coffee to visitors (which I hoped for when I bought it, of course, since it's so cool) because I'm afraid of it making a mess of all. What occasionally may happen is:
1)The Mukka starts leaking shortly after the flame is on, in consequence pressure won't be created and you'll get (yes,with cappuccino button pressed) a less than decent milk and coffee.
2) It won't leak, but anyway cappuccino is not properly formed and it seems to be the valve's fault.
On occasions, the Mukka works perfectly and then it will make a superb cream and foam, which makes you want to forgive him forever....till the next mess.
Anyway, I must say I always get disappointed by the quality of the coffee in the cappuccino or latte. It is very mild and even insipid to my tastebuds, I think maybe it's because of the proportion of water and milk, it happens with different coffees.
And also, especially in winter, the steam which forms the foam won't be hot enough to heat it sufficiently, thus a tepid cappuccino is obtained, which I hate.
I also have purchased several valves till this moment, two of them I had to throw away because they never worked anymore after failing the first time, and the one I'm using is temperamental as I said.
Anyway the biggest issue here to my view is the leaking. I can give some tips that seem to avoid it most of the time, but not always.
1)The intensity of the flame in the stovetop must be quite high.
2)All parts of the coffeemaker, especially those who get together by screwing, must be scrupulously dry. And of course, well screwed. I don't mind very, very tightly, but in the right way.
I really love this machine, even if the taste of the coffee is not superb, when it doesn't leak and good cream is formed, but it really lets herself be hated when this doesn't happen. I wouldn't buy it again certainly.

Reviews in the Internet seem to be in disagreement. This is a positive one:

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/b ... a/tmaynard

And here is one completely different

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/b ... roductions

Other ones

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/b ... eringlight

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/b ... ka/dogdanz

BTW last day I say a relatively similar device on eBay, it's a conventional Italian stovetop coffeemaker but it has sort of a manual pumper on the top half. You are supposed to place (preheated, I think) milk there and pump, then make coffee like with a conventional coffee maker. This is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.es/Cappuccino-Espresso- ... 53e14f98c3

But I don't think I'll buy it because the most important thing is that the coffeemaker makes good coffee.

BTW I registered in this forum because I just bought an automatic espresso maker, it's the Solac Stenzza model CE4600. I think it's a Spanish brand, so it may not be known abroad, but I've tasted the coffee already (of course!) and I'm satisfied.

I'll post a question soon asking for some recommendations... :) :) :) :)

Hope it helps and I beg my pardon for my English.

-----------------------

What I added by editing:

First of all, I'm returning my Solac today since it adds 50g of water to my frothed milk even after purging the valve.

About the Mukka: somehow this thread woke up the "Mukka longing" in me. I investigated in the Internet and I found a good thread (I place the link below). In this thread many many people talk about the Mukka, some say it's terrific, others talk about its failures: spilling, bad coffee, just lukewarm cappuccino.... I spend three hours reading the messages yesterday, I took note of the successful users advice...and today I've made to batches of capuccino successfully. I don't know how it will work tomorrow, but I'll tell what I did:

1. First I thoroughly cleaned my Mukka. Must say it was really dirty with solidified coffee residues.The cleaning meant dissasembling it completely and taking out every piece (every filter, valve,gasket), cleaning it with suitable scouring pads, carefully drying it, and assembling again. (What I used to do before was simply clean the upper and lower containers and flush water onto the gasket, upper part upside down under the tap)

2. To make coffee (cappuccino) I followed the advice to a "T":

a) I applied a thin layer of olive oil to gasket and "rims" (threads, lines that screw).Many users insisted on this, they say it creates a better sealing.

b)I used espresso coffee. I must say the instructions ask for mocca coffee (ground not so finely), but since my results were so bland and watery and many users urged to use espresso, I did it.

c)I used the measuring cup to exactly measure the required water

d)I didn't fill the funnel-shaped filter too much. I filled to the rim and then tapped it against the table for the grounds to settle. I didn't tamp or press. When I was filling it it was not inside the lower part of the coffee maker already, I hold it with one hand. Before putting it in place, I very, very carefully checked so that not a single coffee ground particle was on the rim or near it, outside the funnel.

e)I placed the funnel inside lower part.

f)To screw both parts, I kept the lower one on the counter, I didn't lift it till the screwing was half-done. So, in the first phase of screwing, just upper part moves. Then you can lift the coffee maker and finish screwing with both hands. I didn't screw very, very tightly, just firmly. I think the key is to "feel" a smooth screwing, if not, it means parts are not screwing "parallely" (hope I made me understandable....English not my native language).

f)I used the smallest stove burner (gas) and I set it to medium-high, more medium than high I'd said.
I looked at the watch hoping to achieve those 8-minute time (not less). And voilà....it was exactly 8 minutes afterwards when the valve went up and the milk started frothing.

g)I didn't touch or open the lid for a moment.

h)I let the milk froth until I didn't hear any frothing noise. This meant the total time was 10 minutes.

This gave me a very decent cappuccino. I think the keys are achieving a good gasket seal to avoid spilling(and here the olive oil is essential) and managing to create a strong and hot cappuccino. Strong means using quality espresso coffee (finer grind) and hot means not being in a hurry and wanting to make the cappuccino in three minutes. I think the slow heating gives time for everything to warm up.
And of course it's very important to check the coffee grounds so that they keep themselves into the funnel filter.

I hope my Mukka behaves always like today...I'll clean it more thoroughly daily, the total disassembling , I intend to do it once a week. Let's see how it works.

CAgoldbear

Feb 10, 2013
Houston, TX
Visit site
Thank you for a very informative post. I had some issues with my mukka express (stovetop) in the beginning because I wasn't immediately rinsing out with water and milk had clogged the pore of the valve. After a new valve and a conversation with a representative from Bialetti USA, the mukka makes a great Latte.

Yes, Latte. I do not try to expect a "real" cappuccino from this little guy, the froth is not foamy enough or voluminous enough. However, I LOVE the latte that it makes. As long as I make my expectations realistic, my lattes are perfect. I have tried the olive oil after I got the second valve, and I didn't notice too much of a difference. I simply use the little plastic cup with the line for a gas stovetop EVERY time, and I make sure the coffee grounds (ground to espresso / metal filter) are not on the edge. I even add a little cinnamon to the coffee to make it extra special on Sunday mornings.

My concern is that even with the immediate rinsing of the upper half, I still get little milk residue at the bottom in the crevices. I am wondering if there is anything I can soak it in, maybe vinegar or something, that will help break down that milk buildup. Other than that one little issue (and it's just for cleanliness and aesthetics), My little buddy makes a great latte about 5 days a week for me!

Hope all is well with you and your coffee...

Andros

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have found to get all of the water from the bowl to go into the top chamber correctly I put the heat on low to medium and that works a lot better than high or med to high.