Bill gates

gsan

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
If rich people like bill gates wanted to buy a really good quality coffee machine that will deliver gourmet tasting coffee that comes prepared with cream or milk, what kind of machine should they buy? Im talking about GOURMET tasting coffee...? Delonghi, krups, ect...?

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
If rich people like bill gates wanted to buy a really good quality coffee machine that will deliver gourmet tasting coffee that comes prepared with cream or milk, what kind of machine should they buy? Im talking about GOURMET tasting coffee...? Delonghi, krups, ect...?
I don't think Bill is a coffee enthusiast, but if you mean "if cost is not a factor", here is a potentially useful link: https://www.coffeeness.de/en/best-super-automatic-espresso-machine/

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
So these machines will deliver the most superior tasting coffee around then? What machines will do so then?
Well, that raises another question that members of this forum would probably weigh in on. If money was no object and you wanted the best possible coffee, why worry, hire your own personal barista, buy less "automatic" equipment, and roast and brew your own to your taste? The question is "what's your objective" automation or the best-tasting coffee? Cost and superior-tasting coffee may not correlate.

gsan

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Well, that raises another question that members of this forum would probably weigh in on. If money was no object and you wanted the best possible coffee, why worry, hire your own personal barista, buy less "automatic" equipment, and roast and brew your own to your taste? The question is "what's your objective" automation or the best-tasting coffee? Cost and superior-tasting coffee may not correllate

Well, that raises another question that members of this forum would probably weigh in on. If money was no object and you wanted the best possible coffee, why worry, hire your own personal barista, buy less "automatic" equipment, and roast and brew your own to your taste? The question is "what's your objective" automation or the best-tasting coffee? Cost and superior-tasting coffee may not correlate.
Well then what truly makes superior tasting coffee then ultimately??

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
Your post said your objective was "gourmet tasting" coffee. So to start with gourmet tasting is judged by you since individuals have different ideas about what tastes great. The choice of beans, the roasting process, and the freshness of the roasted beans, all impact the taste, so the fully automatic machine doesn't control that. Assuming that you get those factors right, I believe a fully automatic machine will deliver an excellent product including milk-based specialty drinks. I have two so-called super-automatic Jura Giga 6 and a Jura Z6 and I think they perform well when you have the right beans roasted the way you like them. I would hasten to add that you can get the same quality with a lot less expensive equipment with a less automatic grinding and brewing solution. The difference is convenience and maybe consistency. It's what fits your lifestyle and budget. Lots of people enjoy personal involvement in the steps of the process and believe they can get a superior cup.

CSG

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I was in a Williams Sonoma last week and they had a $4000 full auto Jura (J10?) up and running. My son and I each asked for a plain espresso. Not surprisingly, they were made into a little paper cup (blech) and I don't recall the beans they were using but it was as good a shot of espresso as I've had anywhere. If it weren't for the fact these machines are so complicated internally and require a fair bit of care/maintenance, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But living in a rural area in a rural state, not in the cards. If I lived in a city, I'd seriously consider one. Meanwhile, I suffer through freshly ground beans daily and manual pour over... ;)

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
You are right there is daily maintenance ( 10 minutes) if you make milk-based drinks and occasional (for me probably monthly 20 minutes) maintenance. Knock on wood so far the reliability has been excellent. I had a self-inflicted issue with milk foaming and Jura support was great and it was resolved the same day. The ability to produce great coffee and specialty drinks such as Cappuccino, Macchiato, Latte, Flat White, etc. at the touch of a button is a real luxury I must admit. Probably not for everyone but my wife and I sure get a lot of enjoyment from ours.
As I said the big advantage is convenience, for high-quality coffee beverages, You can get the same result with less complicated and expensive equipment so it's a matter of choice. It doesn't sound like you are suffering too much however.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well then what truly makes superior tasting coffee then ultimately??
Skill/technique, quality/fresh coffee and balanced water... never about how much is spent beyond a reasonable point.

I've been in shops that had easily spent $20K on just the machine/grinder and the espresso couldn't match what I can get out of a moka pot with coffee I roast.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I think that doing a pour over done right makes about the best coffee you can get. And more money doesn't improve it. In fact, I do not believe that Bill Gates is enjoying better coffee than me. If I had a lot of money to throw at it, the only change I would make is to hire someone to make my pour overs, and deliver them to me when I want.

Remember that old add for Chock Full 'O Nuts coffee? "Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy." Well maybe not for Chock Full O' Nuts coffee, but a pour over of light roast of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, yea, nobody is drinking coffee better than that.

Last edited: