Blend then roast, or roast then blend?

nazpastor

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
OK, I got a Nesco home roaster for Christmas and I am loving roasting my own coffee. I have a number of single origin beans and I am trying them individually to see what I like and don't like. I was wondering about blending the single origins together and I was wondering if they should be roasted before blending or should they be blended and then roast them. I know that some beans are better a little darker than others, but if they are blended before roasting they would seem to meld flavors more fully as they are roasted together.

So, which order is best for getting a freshly blended roast?

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
Blending

If you are going to blend before you roast, you need to make sure both beans roast similar. I know one blend I have bought before roasting is Kona and Costa Rica, since these beans have similar roasting characteristics. I prefer blending after roasting and sometimes it is the same bean roasted differently such as medium and darker bended together. I am sure you will find many different opinions in this forum.

kahveci

Jan 8, 2008
Izmir, Turkey
Visit site
welcome to the worderful world of roasting; the real question is which came first chicken or egg?

I prefer to blend before roasting but... prepare your blend well advance, keep your beans together in container so that all beans receive equal moisture, organic elements etc. If you use small oak barrel for container, the beans will have a distinctive taste.

kahveci

Jan 8, 2008
Izmir, Turkey
Visit site
welcome to the worderful world of roasting; the real question is which came first chicken or egg?

I prefer to blend before roasting but... prepare your blend well advance, keep your beans together in container so that all beans receive equal moisture, organic elements etc. If you use small oak barrel for container, the beans will have a distinctive taste.

kahveci

Jan 8, 2008
Izmir, Turkey
Visit site

kahveci

Jan 8, 2008
Izmir, Turkey
Visit site
welcome to the worderful world of roasting; the real question is which came first chicken or egg :!: