Blending Beans recipes HELP

Dale

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I want to start experimenting with blending and roasting different beans together. I was wondering if anyone has any recipes they want to share?

for Example:

50% Yeman

25% Brazil

15% Nicaraguan

10% Monsooned Malibar

as to how I would like the reply to look and any explanation would be great.

It doesn't matter to me what kind of beans you use I am always buying beans and if there is something I don't have I will be sure to get it to try if available.

hope this is the right area for this topic I didn't think it fit under drinks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Dale,

I have one suggestion for you:

In your posting you wrote, "I want to start experimenting with blending and roasting different beans together."

If would be better if you roasted each of the different kinds of beans separately and then blend them together according to the "recipe" percentages that you want to try. If you mix the unroasted beans together and then try to roast them, some may roast faster (and darker)than others and you won't be able to control the result. If you roast each of the different kinds of bean separately and then blend them, you'll have a better result.

Good luck on your experimenting. I hope you will soon discover the perfect blend for you.

Rose

ElPugDiablo

davec, the Old Git Blend using of softer Nicaraguan sounded great for espresso. Too bad in the US quality not SHG beans are hard to find.

I recently put aged Sumatra into the hopper when I already have natural Sidamo in it. The blend before roast fubar came out great, now it is one of our regular roast.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
davec, the Old Git Blend using of softer Nicaraguan sounded great for espresso. Too bad in the US quality not SHG beans are hard to find.

I recently put aged Sumatra into the hopper when I already have natural Sidamo in it. The blend before roast fubar came out great, now it is one of our regular roast.

Well I shall steal the Sumatra+sidamo roast if i can get the proportions and roast levels (hint)

As for the Nicaraguan, the one I used was not classified as SHG on the bag, it had a rich bitter chocolate note in the cup quite intense. Mine was actually called Nicaraguan Coco, which to be honest I thought was a high grown coffee (that region is/was renowned for its quality of coffee). Oh the Coco had nothing to do with it's intense chocolate taste in the cup, just the region. it was also a fabulous single origin in Milk Drinks <sigh>, sadly all gone now.

but as you know, if it's not described as SHG on the bag or the waybill, it's not right to say it is SHG! :wink:

ElPugDiablo

Davec said:
Well I shall steal the Sumatra+sidamo roast if i can get the proportions and roast levels (hint)
It's 50 - 50. I roast on an old ir-12. My total roasting time is about 16:25. Dump 40 seconds after first crack is finished with no hint of second crack. Starting first crack, the temperature climbs about 4F - 5F every 30 seconds.