blending coffee

jammin' java

May 21, 2005
louisville, ky
Visit site
:shock: hello to all of you coffee "sperts"

I have been open 7 weeks now, and still brewing and selling that coffee. My wife and I work the shop a lot and we have 3 part time people helping. We are now trying to develop our house blend. So far I have only brewed my new house blend by mixing the already brewed coffee. Now I am going to mix the beans before grinding and call it my jammin’ java house blend. The mix that I used to blend brewed coffee was 50%-50%. It seems that if I mix beens in the same ratio before grinding I should get the same result. Boy, some times I wish I was not so ignorant. 8)

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
sorry I'm not a roster but your formula is sound. not sure where your beans are coming from but before making them a house blend you are going to stick with make sure your supply is sound.

I'm glad to buy from a roster...I know it costs me extra but it takes a big head ache out of things...our coffee has gotten great reviews both outside the shop and by our customers.

georgiacoffeelady

Jul 3, 2005
Gainesville, GA
Visit site
I work for a Coffee Roaster in the Southeast and if one of our customers wants to create a signature/house blend our Roast Master will contact the customer and begin working with them on creating a blend that is designed specifically for you. I suggest contacting your roaster on having them work with you and if they don't I would suggest finding one who does. Also if they are a good roaster they will be able to match your current house blend or great something similiar, but alittle better tasting. Contact your roaster and see what they can do for you, I think this would save you time and also help keep a consistent blend.

MrJim

Jun 14, 2005
Hayward, WI
Visit site
Blending - a good starting point

BLENDING – THE ART AND FUN OF HOME ROASTING

If I just had a coffee bean for every time someone asked me what is the “PERFECT BEANâ€

PressedCup

Feb 15, 2006
North Carolina
Visit site
MrJim and others, Was not happy with drip machines and pre-ground coffee. Recently got a french press, good grinder and a few types of whole beans on-line.
Brewed a dozen pots for myself and wife. I grind fresh for each pot.
Have been keeping notes on the results noting the opinions of both drinkers. I am the family chef and view the quest for a better cup as a hobby as I enjoy tweeking recipies. My results have improved BUT! I found that two of these coffees did not please us when brewed alone but did when BLENDED.

Observations: Varing grind, and coffee/water ratio is too limited for my tastes and interests. I need to start taking blending more seriously. I think, "measuring" beans via a 2 TBS scoop to place into grinder is too imprecise and too inconsistant. I want to be able to consistantly repeat
making the same cup. I probably went off the deep end but I ordered a good quality digital scale (Jenings CJ-300) that is accurate to 0.1 ounce, has a capacity of 300 oz. to weigh the whole beans just prior to grinding. The scale has a cover that flips over to function as a weighing bowl.

Does this sound excessive? Do you know of others that operate similarily? Do many people do blending as a hobby?

The plan: After I explore several more types of coffee and play with
blending for a while (several months) I think the next step is to get into roasting green beans.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Thank you Mr. J :shock:

I appreciate the fact that you explained cupping very well. But one has to be careful when blending especially when their senses are not trained or experienced enough to experiment. I would agree with both celement & georgiacoffeelady with respect to asking your roaster to help out. Then after awhile when you have more experience, experiment with different origins in small amounts and cup them until you can come up with what you consider to be a good house or signature blend.