Blending home roasted beans.

ArabBeaker

Sep 19, 2008
New Zealand
Visit site
I believe my popper is a little faster to roast than your average commercial machine so I don't want to roast too dark.

I have PNG, Colombian, Kenyan and Sumatran green beans and so far I have tried them all as single origin milk based espresso. Each one at has been sampled at medium roast and also med dark roast.
Here's a blend I've come up with, and its by no means supposed to be the correct blend/roast:
Sumatra gets a medium roast, barely to the end of the first crack.
Kenyan gets all the way to the end of the second crack and a slight oil.
Comombia also gets a light to medium roast and the PNG gets half way through the second crack with no oiliness.

Each origin comprises 25% of the blend at this stage, because I'm still a long way short of educating my pallette about coffee.

I would be grateful, if anyone is brave enough, to hear a critique or comment on how I've treated these different origins. I know nothing about how they are generally roasted, but someone out there must be able to judge whether I might see any improvement by adjusting things.
Cheers.
Arab.

ps will someone please stick their neck on the chopping block :wink:

For sure this could be sign to look at sourcing from another supplier. Sumatra has as many origins and sub-origins as Kenya... so someone selling green generically as "Sumatran" is not a great sign. Just a heads up for you, but this actually relates to one of the first posts I added to one of yours where I commented that one of the major reasons for the decline in quality of roasted coffee in NZ over the last decade is, in my opinion, directly corelates to the green importers. :?

ArabBeaker

Sep 19, 2008
New Zealand
Visit site
Reprting back on some findings :
As a newbie to home roasting and ignorant of what single origins beans taste like and how they should be roasted to bring out the best in them, I embarked on my highly scientific study of coffee bean tasting.

Phew its been a hard job, but someone had to do it, roasting and drinking as much coffee as I dare and even into the early afternoon too :!:
Its taken a while and I'm by no means done experimenting yet, it could go on forever.

I gave some Colombian the old medium howsyourfather in the corn popper treatment, as did I the Kenyan AA. The Colombian as a single origin is very smooth and chocolatey, I could easily drink it on its own.
The Kenyan is somewhat sharper with ... ( here I go ..... ) some dark fruit notes and maybe date or dried plum notes :oops: Anyway my official findings are that I would use the Kenyan in small quantities in a blend.

Add more important PNG and Sumatran stuff later on .

Arab.