BlendTec Versus Vita-Mix

For smoothies and blended coffee drinks, do you prefer BlendTec or Vitamix?

• BlendTec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vitamix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I need some advice. We are starting a franchise and are selecting quality equipment. We want the best of the best! After going to the Seattle CoffeeFest, I was sold on BlendTec blenders. Everyone seemed to be using them. Then after talking to a gentlemen who has been in the coffee industry for years and years, I may be swaying on this decision. It seems that he has had continuous difficulties with their customer service and getting replacement parts. Is is smarter to go with Vita-Mix who has been around for years and seems to have a great reputation. I know that BlendTec came out with some innovative technology but is it safe to say that Vita-Mix has caught up. I have also heard horror stories about having to replace the whole container rather than just the blade with BlendTec, but then again I heard they have lowered the cost of the containers to make up for this. I would like to make a sound decision based upon facts, rather than "he said, she said" but unfortunately I have to listen to my fellow consumers....who are more familiar with the products that I am. Can anyone help me out? I prefer the look of BlendTec but I know that it is not safe to go for fashion over function. Recommendations appreciated....Thanks!

I have used both, but currently we are focusing on Vitamix. Cosmetically the BlendTec machines are a little better looking...but if you judge just on looks alone, my wife would never have tied the knot with me! We have had very good support with Vitamix. The only technical problems I have had have been a loosened drive nut which comes after hours and hours of crushing frozen fruit! Easy fix, and one spare nut comes with all Vitamix blenders. BlendTec also is a solid brand...so I guess evetually the decision comes down to preference and (most importantly) local customer support

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
BlendTec has one heck of a marketing campaign. I think that being said more people associate commercial blenders with that brand name. But having worked on Vita-Mix blenders in the past I can say without a doubt I prefer the ease of repair on a Vita-Mix blender.

Vita-Mix could stand a few lessons from BlendTec on how to build a more durable part but at the same time BlendTec would be a better machine if they were to make their customer service and the replacement of generic parts easier.

I would recommend Vita-Mix over BlendTec at this point in time.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I have no experience with the BlendTec, but do use a VitaMix blender at work. I have no idea what the model # is, but that thing kicks a$$. I've never been around high end blenders like that, but that thing rips through anything and makes the smoothest frozen drinks I've seen yet and does so quickly. Our customers can't believe how nice the texture is. Extremely well built, being stainless, ball bearing construction, etc. I think they paid somewhere between $500-800 for it, but have never said for sure. Later!

hrhshow

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am on the fence also about a Blendtec and a Vitamix 5200, I have heard that while the Blendtec is great at coffee drinks and smoothies, they are NOT as good at making whole vegetable and whole fruit drinks, since they don't have the topper. I have read where smoothies come out with lumps in them from Blendtec and that they can't crush ice as well as the Vitamix. While I DO HEAR good things about the Blendtec, there has been NO MENTION of a single thing the Blendtec does better than the Vitamix other than the self starting and stopping mechanism. Whereas with the Vitamix, this machine tends to do EVERYTHING. Vitamix is priced at $488 with tax, and the Blendtec is $399 with NO tax or s/h charges. Vitamix also has a 7 year warranty, where Blendtec only has a 3 year warranty, except if you purchase the Connoseiur blender at $799 (you can buy at different sites for $549 though) which has a 5 year warranty. All in all the Vitamix has a BETTER REPUTATION and even with it not fitting under the counter is no reason to skimp on quality.

Sep 3, 2008
Victor NY
Visit site
We had cafes where each store was doing a high level of business. Over 25000 a week. We had both kinds of blenders at certain points. I also vote for the Vita Mix it seemed to work very well, the kids liked it better and the support was better in my opinion from Vita Mix.

Mr. Goodbytes

Apr 1, 2009
Lafayette, IN
Visit site
Regarding service, Vita-Mix has always been fantastic. I'd give them a 5 out of 5. I would expect the same service out of Blendtec, but I just don't have any feedback on that. Vita-Mix does have a better warranty length overall, but in my experience, you truly have to abuse a blender to kill it in under 3 years. For ease of use, I would vote Blendtec until you get the Vita-Mix Blending Station and Touch & Go which would have a slight edge. For Parts, I would vote Blendtec for jars because they start you off with 2 Jars, and it's cheaper to buy a whole new Blendtec Jar than a Vita-Mix. However, I would vote Vita-Mix for the drive socket because you can replace it. The socket on the Blendtec has a lifetime warranty, but you cannot order one for a spare.

Blendtec originally had an edge on frozen drinks because their blade design made a better texture (believe it or not, you can tell), but then Vita-Mix came out with their Advance series of blenders and evened the playing field. Internally, the concept of the blenders is the same-- a heavy duty vacuum cleaner-style motor but with more power, better bearings and balance. If you want to program (or use pre-programmed settings) in your typical drinks and batch sizes, the Blendtec offers more flexibility because their touchpad and digital screen are available on all models, something you don't get on a Vita-Mix until you hit their Touch and Go or Blending Station Advance units (which are a little easier to program). Blendtecs all have the same touchpad though, so if you ever change models, your employees won't have to relearn the controls.

The issue of parts shouldn't be a hurdle with Blendtec. Yes you have to replace the whole jar kit, but a Vita-Mix blade costs $70 and a BPA-Free Blendtec Jar (with blade and lid) costs $80. Blendtec blenders also come with 2 complete Jars out of the box. And again, the socket is an easier replacement on the Vita-Mix. I've replaced motors on Vita-Mix blenders before, and they last well beyond their warranty if operators are not abusing the blender. Blendtec should be the same. Sometimes what you'll see is that an employee might make a drink too thick by adding too much ice for the blending cycle. Instead of thinning it out with a little water or milk (or some other base), they rock the jar or try to shake the entire blender. This puts all the torque on the bearings, and at such high RPM's, doing so will shorten the life of the blender. As an entrepreneur, you already understand how to value your capital, but an average employee does not see the blender as a profit center, just a tool that will be replaced if broken.

For a commercial blender, it would really depend on what setup you want and how much traffic the store would see. Blendtec's 20 Amp Smoother can handle more work than everything except Vita-Mix's new beast of a blender, the XL Blender (which may or not be practical for your stores). If you predict that you will be making batches of drinks more often than single drinks (based on your menu), I would go with the Blendtec with at least a 15 Amp model because they can use the 96 ounce jars. If you are making single 16 ounce drinks at a time and not in rapid succession, I would focus more on price than features because you won't get as much of a return on your investment with the higher-powered Blendtecs or the Vita-Mix Blending Station Advance.

You must also decide on if you are looking to install 2 or 3 (or more) blenders, so you must factor in how much countertop space you will need, and also how much overhead clearance if you have shelves over the blenders or want units with a sound enclosure (highly recommended). Also, if you are wanting to mount your equipment into the countertop rather than sitting on the counter, Blendtec offers more versatility because both their Smoother and SpaceSaver can do both while certain Vita-Mix blenders can do one or the other. If you are using powder mixes such as Big Train, I'd definitely recommend the in-counter mount because those cooling fans draw a lot of air, and that powder will cake all over the motor.

cofelvr

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Vitamix. LIke others on here have said... VItamix's come with a no-questions-asked 7 year warranty. They're built like tanks to begin with... but even if you manage to break one, Vitamix has fantastic customer service with no-hassle replacements.

BTW, you can get a free shipping coupon code (normally $25!) through online affiliates like rawblends.com/vitamix-blender

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Mr. Goodbytes... nice write-up and I can agree with most of what was said. Don't quite understand the comment about using Big Train powders and caking the motor up. I'm a big believer of Big Train products, but I never get them anywhere the base. I always add all ingredients to the jar and lid it before I even sit it on the base. If the user is really careless/sloppy I could see it being an issue.

I have used both brands and feel as if you get more bang-for-the-buck with BlendTec. Same with espresso equipment. La Marzocco is overpriced and overhyped when it's no better technology/performance as one will get from the better HX machines. Same with Mazzer grinders. There are several brands that are easily the equal of any Mazzer, just hype more than anything. People think because something is higher priced it must be better, but that is far from the truth.