Bold Question

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
At the risk of being shunned by those of you who think coffee is just for espresso machines, I have a question:

I'm considering switching the type of coffee we use in some of our baked goods, from a turkish ground "espresso blend" (whatever's in that) to something even bolder, say a Sumatran?

Once, I sneeked some Sumatran into a batch and it came out super delish!

Are there any other naturally bold, single origins that might work well with cocoa & dark chocolate? Something that stands out, on its own.

Thanks in advance...

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Hey EPD, thanks for the quick reply. When I think bold, I think barbecue sauce. But, I've heard "bold" as a description for Indonesian and even African coffees. Could be from Starbux fans though.

So, to be a little more descriptive, one of the following:

Earthy
Intense
Heavy bodied
Full flavored (not necessarily dark roast flavor)
Nutty perhaps?

In my opinion, dark roasting masks the natural flavors from the beans, then what you taste is mostly the roast, not the bean.

Thanks again man, appreciate it.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Sulawesi Toraja - dark chocolate, pungent tobacco, macadamia
Flores Bajawa - wood, spice, chocolate, earthy, hint of dark fruit tangy-ness.
A really good Brazil Cerrado -- cocoa and marzipan.

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
The favorite cake of our entire extended family that my wife makes has about 6 shots of my Mocha Java Blend in the cake as well as 4 or soo in the frosting! :D :D :D :lol: :)

Even the kids LOVE it :grin: :)

visit my site or just google Mocha Java. We use Yemen Mocca beans and Java Estate for our "old world" blend.

roaster dave

Aug 6, 2008
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
Given the attributes you've listed, a Sumatran is definitely a good option. You may want to play around with some other natural process coffees as well. Harrar may be a good choice, as its a pretty "bold" coffee. Wild and complex in flavour, earthy and full bodied provided its not roasted beyond second crack.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Alun...

I have not been.

I would be happy to learn the differences. I've only had a two selections of Flores, and one was more "earthy" while the other had more noticeable flavors, sort of like fruit soaked wood, if that makes sense.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Looks like the forum was busy over the weekend.

I'll refer back to this thread on occasion to debrief myself on all of your detailed coffee descriptions.

Thanks for all of your info guys!

Topher, I already ordered a couple of your coffees to try, they should be here on Wednesday,
along with one of those cool "Explorer" coffee mugs. Can't wait!

Thanks again to ElPugDiablo, John P, Alun Evans, ourcoffeebarn, roaster Dave & Topher.

You guys are the best!! :D

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
On a slightly different note... I found this coffee ice cream recipe
that uses finely ground & whole bean coffee. It doesn't mention
what type of beans they use though. I would try it with a little
dusting of the fine grounds over the top, but that's just me. :D

coffee-ice-cream.jpg

Courtesy of:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... _cream.php