BONE-DRY Cappuccino

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Look at it this way, the dryer the froth the more it sticks together. I like to set automatic steam arms to make a lot of froth which in turn makes it very dry. I do this for demonstrations only. Mostly so I can my version of a froth snowman and some scenery to go with it. No matter how hard you try it will never fall through the grates on the drain tray.

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Nevermind, just did a google search and found my answer. I guess there are 4 ways of ordering a cappuccino...

1.) Wet-No foam, all milk, and espresso

2.) Dry-More foam than milk and espresso

3.) Bone Dry-All Foam, no milk, and espresso

4.) Regular-1/3 milk, 1/3 foam, 1/3 espresso

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
Wet V. Dry

Bone dry can not be what it is defined as. That's a macciato(sp?...sorry).
When I started as a barista dry vs. wet described the method of frothing the milk. Dry was traditional where you let the froth set and then ladel it on the drink and wet(or Berkley style) was a straight pour of the milk without letting it set in the pitcher. Just about everybody does wet now from what I've noticed. Its alot less time consuming and, if you know what you are doing, gives you virtualy the same results.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I found the perfect serving vessel for that cappuccino:

istockphoto_164188_skeleton_mug.jpg

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Macchiato translates to marked or spotted. Every Italian I've ever talked with said it means marked. Most of the definitions I've seen online call it spotted. Either way the espresso is poured though the foam to mark it, hence a Macchiato.

equus007 I don't understand how you are calling a Bone dry a Macchiato.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
agreed

I agreed with you completely CCafe but the reality of what you get in major chain shops in the US is that a Macchiato is a Capp. with no steamed milk added...just froth...unless you go to starbucks in which case its a mini-caramel latte(why I don't know). When I was trained(if I can remeber that far back) a Macc. was shot(s) with a dalop of froth and the "marked" was the ring of crema which you tried to make as wide as possible.

It would be nice if Italy's National Institute for Italian Espresso would define the other major drinks as well.

Andy-gadget

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
A wet cappuccino sounds just like the Australian-New Zealand Flat white.

Minimal froth, 1/3 espresso, 2/3 milk.

At least I will be able to order one now, rather than asking for a hot Latte in a cup