Book Reviews Welcomed: Rob Hoos, Modulating the Flavour Profile of Coffee

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Getting the book was a royal pain. Paid Canadian$70 and finally got it from Amazon. Saw after I could have purchased it for $18 pounds from England.
it was a pretty quick read. For $70 it was basically an expanded version of Chris Schooley's free article, "Stretching Out the Roast".
(Chris Schooley used to work for Sweet Maria's)

Anyone else care to comment ?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Yes - It was a quick read but I tend to use that theory more than some of Rao's early work. I actually purchased it when it first came out several years, there is also a good youtube video of him speaking about the book. I think it was part of the Nordic competition or something (memory is fading... LOL). I'll have to look at Schooley's article... too bad we lost him to the brewery world.

amandaturciya

Nov 15, 2021
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Getting the book was a royal pain. Paid Canadian$70 and finally got it from Amazon. Saw after I could have purchased it for $18 pounds from England.
it was a pretty quick read. For $70 it was basically an expanded version of Chris Schooley's free article, "Stretching Out the Roast".
(Chris Schooley used to work for Sweet Maria's)

Anyone else care to comment ? Thanks a lot! I am just a novice barista, but since I really love coffee (some even say that I am a gourmet, hehe) I try not only to make it deliciously, but also to understand the whole art of coffee taste. I'll take your feedback into account, thanks! By the way, with regards to your disappointment in the book, I can advise you on the site https://freebooksummary.com/category/call-of-the-wild, which I found because I very often started reading books that were not interesting to me. I decided that the best thing to do before reading is to get acquainted with the plot, read the reviews and the summaries. If you decide to read fiction books, then feel free to read a review about them first and then decide whether the book is worth your time and attention. Happy reading and delicious coffee, everyone! PS, by the way, today over a cup of coffee I started reading the Call of the Wild. Have you heard about it?
Thanks a lot! I am just a novice barista, but since I really love coffee (some even say that I am a gourmet, hehe) I try not only to make it deliciously, but also to understand the whole art of coffee taste. I'll take your feedback into account, thanks!

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks a lot! I am just a novice barista, but since I really love coffee (some even say that I am a gourmet, hehe) I try not only to make it deliciously, but also to understand the whole art of coffee taste. I'll take your feedback into account, thanks!
Amanda - check out The World Atlas of Coffee... much better book for baristas than Rob's book (its focused solely on roasting and fairly technical)