Brand new machine came with scale buildup already?

Panguins

Jul 3, 2022
Vancouver
Visit site
Bought a brand new Breville Barista Express.
Was flushing the machine, running water through steamer, hot water spout and group head until I emptied the entire water tank.
I noticed fine white flakes in the cup I was using and figured out they were coming from the steamer wand. After about 5 rounds I saw them showing, and they seemed to have dissipated now after a few more flushes. But, what is it, could it be scale even if it's a brand new machine? Unsure if this is normal or a problem with the machine we bought.

gnar lee

Mar 24, 2022
Europe
Visit site
Bought a brand new Breville Barista Express.
Was flushing the machine, running water through steamer, hot water spout and group head until I emptied the entire water tank.
I noticed fine white flakes in the cup I was using and figured out they were coming from the steamer wand. After about 5 rounds I saw them showing, and they seemed to have dissipated now after a few more flushes. But, what is it, could it be scale even if it's a brand new machine? Unsure if this is normal or a problem with the machine we bought.
That's odd. I would get in touch with the retailer you purchased it from.
Even if the machine was certainly tested by the manufacturer during QC, it takes some time and use for scale to build up...

addertooth

May 30, 2022
Arizona
Visit site
I will note that some online selling -sites/vendors have a "reputation" for selling returned/rebuilt/refurbished machines as New.

Examples of this can be found in the reviews on Amazon's website for Breville Expresso Machines.

Which version of the Barista Express did you get? Is it the one with the adjustbable upper Burr, or the one with the non-adjustable upper burr?

Last edited: