Breville BES870XL Restretto Shots

JoshuaQ

Jan 8, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,
First post! So I am addicted to Starbucks Flat Whites. I purchased a Mr Coffee machine in the past and could never do a restretto as the machine was very limited in functionality.

I have replaced the Mr Coffee with a Breville BES870XL. The machine is awesome in comparison and allows me to pull real shots and make many adjustments.

I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with the Starbucks Flat White and if they have been able to recreate one at home. I have tried many different adjustments and pulled at least decent shots (I need a clear cup to see how much crema, etc). Some combinations have come close as they taste like the Flat Whites I return for a new one, lol. So I have been able to pull or mix my drink to the point it tastes failed, but that is progress.

Has anyone been able to recreate the Starbucks Flat White with the Breville?

I use the Starbucks Espresso and have tried shots from Fine to 6 on the grinder. I warm the head, the cup, and tamp pretty much as hard as I can on my table (which was the difference from bad shots to shots in the Espresso pressure range).

Thank you in advance for all help and answers.

Please no rude or condescending comments (too used to those on the internet).

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site

JoshuaQ

Jan 8, 2019
Visit site
Does Starbucks make your Flat White with one shot or two shots of espresso?

Here are some drink recipes from Starbucks, but I don't see a Flat White
{removed links as it wouldn't let me quote}

I believe it depends on the size. They may pull 3 shots and use 2, or they may use all 3, I think. I believe they pull either 3-4 and dump 1, but I don't recall. I have been going with 2 shots and it's strong tasting, and I don't want to drop it to 1 shot as Restretto's already have a reduced caffeine.

Sorry if that's not helpful. I can double check next time I go, but trying to avoid Starbucks for now, haha.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
A few pointers - 1) Make sure to use super fresh espresso - there is no variable more important. Freshly roasted up to two weeks old is best with espresso prep, otherwise your shots will really never get thick and rich. 2) You shouldn't have to press super super hard... the old school rule of thumb was 30 lbs of pressure which isn't really a lot. Modern thinking is tamp pressure is not super critical. 3) Typical time to pull a shot is around 25 seconds... again that can very but shoot for that while troubleshooting. 4) Grind smaller if the shots are pouring fast (and you are using reasonable pressure) 5) Taste the good, bad and ugly - this will help you improve not only your taste buds but your process

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hello All,
First post! So I am addicted to Starbucks Flat Whites. I purchased a Mr Coffee machine in the past and could never do a restretto as the machine was very limited in functionality.

I have replaced the Mr Coffee with a Breville BES870XL. The machine is awesome in comparison and allows me to pull real shots and make many adjustments.

I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with the Starbucks Flat White and if they have been able to recreate one at home. I have tried many different adjustments and pulled at least decent shots (I need a clear cup to see how much crema, etc). Some combinations have come close as they taste like the Flat Whites I return for a new one, lol. So I have been able to pull or mix my drink to the point it tastes failed, but that is progress.

Has anyone been able to recreate the Starbucks Flat White with the Breville?

I use the Starbucks Espresso and have tried shots from Fine to 6 on the grinder. I warm the head, the cup, and tamp pretty much as hard as I can on my table (which was the difference from bad shots to shots in the Espresso pressure range).

Thank you in advance for all help and answers.

Please no rude or condescending comments (too used to those on the internet).

A few things to mention... The coffee you're buying likely isn't nearly as fresh as what's used in-store and yes it makes quite the difference with taste, body, etc. A monster tamp isn't needed as for many years I've found it much better to grind finer, updose as much as I can get away with and tamp with less pressure, like 12-15# at most. For tamping I use a 22 oz. stainless tamper and never apply palm pressure, only the pressure from my thumb/index finger. Also, do you weigh your doses? That's the only variable I've ever been strict about as it makes all the difference. I've never extracted by time/volume/weight (ratio) as when the puck is saturated and gives up what it has to offer it's time to end the extraction. *I wouldn't bother with the pressure gauge as those things tend to be off a bit. It might help get you close, but let the taste/texture/color guide you.

JoshuaQ

Jan 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks everyone, for all the answers and suggestions. I will adjust my shots this morning and see if there is a difference.

My super hard tamps I refer to are 30-40lbs of pressure probably. They are hard compared to gently tamping everything down where that seemed like enough. So hopefully, I am not over tamping, if that's a thing.

I don't know if Starbucks has any dates on their packaging to indicate how fresh the bag is.

smokedoff

Jul 19, 2019
Visit site
I know this is old but I am new here. I bought a Breville express yesterday and, oddly enough, want to make my own “Starbucks flat whites” lol. I love them and spend way too much money there! Did you get anything figured out? I’m interested.

JoshuaQ

Jan 8, 2019
Visit site
I know this is old but I am new here. I bought a Breville express yesterday and, oddly enough, want to make my own “Starbucks flat whites” lol. I love them and spend way too much money there! Did you get anything figured out? I’m interested.

I've found that grinding it at lvl 1-3 works best and the amount knob is 1-2 away from the max. Sometimes it's pretty decent, other times it sucks. I am trying to get the milk down. The lady at Starbucks says they keep it in the steam for 30 seconds and they just stick it right in the center all the way down to the bottom. I've been doing that. It's a work in progress even still, but sometimes it's just fine. Starbucks is about equally hit or miss as my flat whites, lol.