Breville Impress Grind Quality

risetto

Jan 25, 2023
United States
Visit site
I just got this machine as a present and have heard that it has poor grind quality and the tamping mechanism is wonky. If I upgrade to a $200 - $400 hand grinder will I even notice the difference in taste? I have been posting on another forum and wanted to hear what this group thought. I would love to get a Niche Zero but it is a bit pricey for my pocketbook. A local coffee machine repair shop says the Breville grinder should do fine. I appreciate the time you have taken to read my post. I am new and this is my intro.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I gladly say give what you have a fair shot and don't buy into common forum B.S. you might stumble upon. Granted the built-in grinder might not be top notch, but is likely suitable for the masses. If you're drinking straight espresso with lots of varying coffees then yes a quality hand grinder will likely maximize that potential. BUT if you like to add water, milk, etc. to espresso and rarely drink it straight then you likely won't see any real difference between decent grinders.

Last edited:

risetto

Jan 25, 2023
United States
Visit site
I gladly say give what you have a fair shot and don't buy into common forum B.S. you might stumble upon. Granted the built-in grinder might not be top notch, but is likely suitable for the masses. If you drinking straight espresso with lots of varying coffees then yes a quality hand grinder will likely maximize that potential. BUT if you like to add water, milk, etc. to espresso and rarely drink it straight then you likely won't see any real difference between decent grinders.
Thank you very much. Yes, one kind of coffee is fine and I do usually cut the espresso. I appreciate the reply.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Shadow has a spot on advise... don't buy into half the hype around coffee. For those of us that have been around for years we have seen so many 'trendy' thoughts... pulling espresso shots isn't really that much different today as it was 30 years ago when I started my first machine.

risetto

Jan 25, 2023
United States
Visit site
Shadow has a spot on advise... don't buy into half the hype around coffee. For those of us that have been around for years we have seen so many 'trendy' thoughts... pulling espresso shots isn't really that much different today as it was 30 years ago when I started my first machine.
Can you find a decent bag of espresso coffee in the supermarket? I suppose that is what you call decent, right? I just am tired of spending $20/lb for the locally roasted stuff. I cut my espresso with coffeemate liquid.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Not really... specialty grade coffee is about that price...
Yeah no doubt for the most part supermarket stuff is far from specialty and usually quite stale. I will say an exception is some stores having artisan roasted coffee as a Lowe's Food 5 mins from me carries rather fresh Counter Culture, which is somewhat local to me as well. Have also seen Intelligentsia among other better 'brands' in Whole Foods. In a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to get something like that.