Brewing Temperature

House Blend

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
I have read in different post that the ideal brewing temperature is somewhere between 195 - 205 degrees? Do you place the thermometer into the cup of coffee to get the reading? I have a Starbucks Barista Solo and I am only getting a reading of 160 deg while thermomter is placed in the cup of coffee.

Thanks,
Dave

House Blend

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
No need for replies... I did a search and came up with a lot of information on this very subject. I am pretty sure that my brewer is brewing within the desirable temperature range of 195 - 205. If I am getting a reading of 160 deg in a prewarmed coffee mug (Hot tap water 100 deg) and a 170 deg reading straight from the stainless steel carafe that was only at room temperature prior I think it would be safe to assume that the water that is saturating the grounds is at the optimum range....

Dave

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Let me explain a commercial machine for you and maybe you can relate that to a home unit with a few exceptions.

For my example I am going to use a Fetco CBS-52H. The water in the tank or boiler as some call, can be set as high as 209F, but is normally set for 205F. When you start a brew cycle the water moves through a dispensing tube in to the dispensing shaft and out the spray head. By this time the water is going to be about 195F +- 5 degrees.

You can see what I am talking about on page 11 of this PDF.
http://www.fetco.com/UsersGuides/CBS-5000.pdf

Your loosing heat the entire time of the brew cycle. You will loose another 5 to 10F in the funnel as it flows to the bottom and in to your container. So in the case the water should be right about 185F +- 5 degrees.

Now you little machine isn't going to be the same but the principal will be. What you need to find out is at what temperature the water is being heated to before it comes out the spray head. The best way to find this out is with a flexible temperature sensor. You find them a lot with Multi-meters.