build out/equipment costs for 1400 sq ft coffee shop

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I know that prices vary a great deal from region to region, but does anyone have a guestimate as to the build out and equipment costs for a 1400 sq foot coffee shop? We have an opportunity to go from a small stand alone drive thru to a full sit down with a drive thru just across the street from where we are currently. Traffic flow is better and the area is booming. Rent and CAM is about $2100 per month - plus utilites. Just not really sure how to start calculating other costs - stove, venting, tables, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Susan

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
What, in terms of build out, did you negotiate with the landlord/owner?

Or is the $2100 asking price, and you haven't got that far yet?

In terms of build out only: electrical and lighting, plumbing, counters/cabinetry, I think estimate about $30-35 per square foot, so maybe $42- 50K, price will fluctuate depending on region, season, etc.

drive-thru

What John P has said might be much more when it comes to a sit down coffee shop the handycap bath rooms plus the extra expence of more help in the sit down area . The extra equiptment (pro dishwasher) and more.

$2100 a month and you have to build?Do you have the cash or will you be making payments + the rent?

What size is your drive-thru ?

(What If the spot you move from leases to another drive-thru?)

I had a sit down coffee/espresso shop .I now have a drive-thru.

My guess is about $100,000 plus.

drive.jpg

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I thought they we're speaking in terms of BUILD OUT only.

For the whole thing, including equipment, extra start up cash, inventory,
then lighthouse seems about right.... $90K-$150K.

I suppose the big question is: Are you looking at TOTAL cost or just that of build out, so you can factor it in to what you already know you'll be spending on equipment, etc. ?

Either way, it's a substantial investment for most people whose name isn't DuPont or something similar, so look for the best value, not necessarily the best price. i.e. if someone does shoddy work, it will cost you a lot to correct it. Choose wisely.

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
thanks....more info

The building owner will do the basics - rough in utilities, put in a ADA bathroom, etc. I have to pay for the fine tuning. I was thinking of just using the concrete floor and having it stamped and stained.
The 2 buildings are owned by the same people - would have a non-compete clause - actually, they will probably just move the drive thru to another location - may be somewhere I'd consider expanding to also. Our town is in a pretty good growth right now. Traffic counts at the new location are about 30,000 per day - with 125 new upscale apartments just about finished less that 2 blocks away. It is in an affluent part of town - and I have a good reputation there already. I also live in the area so I personally know a great deal of my customers. They have all been very encouraging when I ask them about it, as they have to drive at least 6-7 miles for the closest sit down coffee shop - and that's Star......
I guess what I really don't know about is big commercial equipment - ranges, fridges, etc. I think there are some very classy ways to decorate without spending big bucks, but the equipment can be expensive. I already have 10-12 employees (have another busy shop in our regional hospital) depending on the time of year, so what's another 3-4? I guess the way I'm feeling is that if I don't do it, someone else will, and unfortunately it may be Star.......
Any other input is again appreciated.
Susan