Building mobile unit

dragonflydesserts

Aug 15, 2005
Milford, NE
Visit site
We are currently building a mobile walk-in and drive thru coffee kiosk.
I am stumped on the type of generator that I will need. It seems to me that it should be about 6500 watts and probably an RV generator to deal with the noise. We are running an espresso machine (2 group - 110v), cooler, under counter reefer, coffee machine and smoothie blender. Also flourescent lights. What kind of success have any of you had with a mobile power system. RV generators are very expensive, have any of you had any success with a commercial construction generator? They are a heck of lot cheaper, but noise is an issue. Is there a combination of a battery bank and a smaller generator that would work?

Expresso Mobile command unit

Take a look: http://www.nwjava.com/trailer.htm

You'll see a 4500kw Honda quiet gen. I't's barly enough more like 8000 would be great. I have a single group 110, and refigeration with freezer, A/c, ect....and at times it's a real challenge. Powere managment is required, like start up voltage demands, warming up the espresso machine, the hot water tank...ect...Maybe all things can't be on at the start but they can all run at the same time if they are brought online over time. I hope this helps..

dragonflydesserts

Aug 15, 2005
Milford, NE
Visit site
generator

LA CREMA - Thats a great looking trailer that you have there.
Ours is built on a 66 Chev. 1 ton dually truck with a 18" Chinook motorhome built onto the chassis. The rear of the motorhome is open. Meaning there is a patio door and glass only on the rear. A customer can walk inside and order their drinks. During the winter they can warm up a little while they wait. Back to the generator - We are concerned about having a generator that makes too much noise. The RV generators are quieter, but the price is outlandish. And I agree, I should have about an 8000 watt generator. We are mounting it into a receiver hitch under the front bumper. Hopefully, by mounting the generator on the front of the truck, we will reduce the noise in the public area at the rear.

NW JAVA

The honda is quiet but the largest quit one is 6500w I believe, and I always think of a quite 3000w to piggyback... really the generator is quiet enough, I ve been to alot of car shows and comunity fest...and no complaints. Also this trailer can plug into a 220v source.....

delbertnuckles

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
i wonder the feasability of solar for low power draws, and a smaller generator to pick up the heavier loads. also, i don't know much about them but astoria has a propane powered espresso machine. uses natural gas (maybe?) or propane to cover your big draw the heat source. so, maybe you don't need such a big generator. hmm...

beans

May 28, 2004
Visit site
We bought 2 Honda generators. A 3000W and a 2000W. One thing that I will say about these is that they are extrememy quiet. Considering that we went from a Coleman 7000W that sounded like a snowblower and seemed to turn off some of my customers, now they are asking why I don't have a generator running. They were amazed when I showed them the 2 generators running out back of my truck. I highly recommend Honda, but do not go with another model that uses Honda engines. It's not the same. The Coleman used a Honda engine and now it is sitting under a canvas in my back yard rusting. It was a waste of money.

dragonflydesserts

Aug 15, 2005
Milford, NE
Visit site
After much consideration and grief over the amount of money I am going to spend, I have decided to go with two honda 3000w generators that can be used in parallel. I hope to be able to manage my electrical use effectively enough to make this work. I am also still in the market for a 110v bisalia portofino two group.