Bunn Commercial CWTF15

JD2022

Jul 28, 2022
California
Visit site
Hello all, I have a Bunn CWTF15 thatwas purchased 5 months ago. Within the last two weeks it either makes a half a pot or overfills everywhere. I have went through the setup to set water level, next couple of pots are fine, then right back to not enough but mostly overfilling. I contacted the WebstaurantStore where it was purchased. I was told i need to learn to read the directions for setting water levels, then finall giver aphone number for Bunn. Even though brand new, Bunn said $200.00 service charge to come check it then parts. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by part # It is a commercial model CWTF15. It is direct plumbed.
That is a series number... there is -1.-2.-3. -APS... all are based on the same unit.

Are you on city water?

And did you follow this process? "Connect the brewer to the power source, place the "ON/OFF" switch in the "ON" upper position, and momentarily press and release the start switch. Water will begin flowing into the tank. When water stops flowing into the tank, initiate a second and a third brew cycle. During the third brew cycle the tank will fill to its capacity and the excess will flow from the sprayhead, out of the funnel, and into the dispenser."

JD2022

Jul 28, 2022
California
Visit site
Here is the only sicker on the unit. the numbers / letters you stated are there.

Attachments

• IMG_E5846.JPG
    IMG_E5846.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 15

JD2022

Jul 28, 2022
California
Visit site
In Februrary when we purchased this I went through all the steps and set the water level. Have not had any problems up untill 2 weeks ago. It started making only half a pot. did thisabout 4 times while i watched. I put the program switch in set mode and went through the steps again, depress brew switch 5 times then held in till i heard the 3 clicks. made two pots at this to check level. Repeated those steps once again to get to a full pot. watched while two more pots brewed, all seemed fine. Came in the next morning to pot overflowing. went through decrease steps to get it back. Made a couple pots, seemed fine. This half pot to overfilling has gone on for over a week now with recalibrating once a day. Bunn said there is three componets that would cause this, but i can't find out what they are. I know it could be the timer but not sure.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Just so you are aware they call that model CWTF15-2 ... the dash -2 designates upper/lower burner. IMO Bunn is terrible at part #'s vs model #'s but I digress.

You have me a bit stumped... brewers are somewhat simple so there are not a lot of things to go wrong. First, I assume you are using the same coffee/qty for all of these batches (at a minimum, not drastic changes). If not, start by eliminating that varible.

Secondly, always make sure the brewer tank is full before setting the volume (the process I cut/paste above). Otherwise, you can get mixed volumes because it has no correct 'full' point for water volume. I would also lock the setting just to make sure its not something (or someone) accidentally overwriting the settings (doubtful this will change anything). If you're doing all that (and it sounds like you are) I'm out of thoughts. I guess your city water could have varying pressure but that's highly unlikely as well.

Did you call Bunn Tech Support? I know you mentioned a $200 fee but I would think they should be able to help troubleshoot on the phone.

U.S. Tech Services: (800) 286-6070

JD2022

Jul 28, 2022
California
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I have already followed all of your suggestions. I wait for the full/ready light to illuminate before starting the next adjustment/brew cycle. when finished and satisfied with the water level I always put it back to lock to make sure no one is changing the settings. Brew is always a new filter and same amount of grounds for a full pot. Bunn tech support were the ones who said any one of three components could be causing the problem and they would have to make a site call to correct. Didn't matter that it was under warranty. WebstaurantStore where purchased said a service call would have to be completed by a licensed service tech and then they would reimburse for the defective part only. Service call will be $99 an hour and $99 an hour truck fee plus parts. So I think i have narrowed it down to either a timer board, fill valve or shutoff valve. Total parts if I purchase all three, $153.00 plus shipping. I still come out ahead so I think I'll try to do some testing on those and go from there.
Again Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Bummer experience with support… that’s disappointing from Bunn. I expect that out of webrestaurant… they sell cheap and unfortunately their service is too. i Have a friend who is tech… I’ll try and get his opinion but I have t seen him in a bit.