Buying french press, which size to get?

WurstJokes

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am finally going to buy a french press and I have chosen Ikea UPPHETTA, looks like good one for a fair price. But I am not sure about the size, most of the time I will be making coffee only for myself (300ml) and I do not know if 1L is too big size for it or I have will be able to press it anywhere down. Should I get this and then one smaller or can I make one mug in 1L?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
How big is your typical mug? You'll want a good half of your mug size larger in the size of the press to leave room for the bloom and/or stirring or swirling of the slurry halfway through the steep time. If you want to brew 300ml, you'll want at least a 500ml press, and IMHO you will do fine with the 1L press.

Realize as well that press pot brewing is not well-suited for blade grinders; too many fines in the ground coffee along with too much variation in particle size from tiny fines to large chuncks. You'll enjoy the press more w/ a decent burr grinder like a Baratza Encore.

WurstJokes

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Typical mug for me is 300ml, so as you saing, 1l press should be ok?
Also, I am not buying blade grinder, do not worry, I will get Mini mill or Skerton, still thinking which one will suite me best.