Buying Organic and Fairtrade Coffee in New Zealand

dingfelder

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Roast Your Own Coffee by G2 Coffee Merchants is New Zealand's fastest growing online coffee store, specializing in Organic and Faritrade coffee beans.

We will ship the freshest beans directly to your door in New Zealand so you can roast them yourself at an affordable price.

In many cases our best quality fresh beans are less expensive than the inferior beans you will find at your local supermarket.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Not sure of the exchange rate....I was checking you pricing..$12.00 a pound?!! That is unroasted..and an additional $6 to roast it for you...sounds steep to me...oh by the way..there is a place on this forum to post ads for you company..

dingfelder

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
cost

Thanks for the feedback topher.

Note: I'm not an expert of coffee prices, I am just a website designer who loves drinking good coffee :)

For New Zealand, it is my impression that coffee prices are quite a bit more than in the US. For example, bags of coffee (grounds) in the supermarket are somewhere around 5$-10$ per 250grams, usually in the 7$-8$ range for decent grounds like Robert Harris.

So, by weight, 10$-12$ for 500g of fresh beans is for sure cheaper.

Cheers,

Ding

Hey Ding, Actually the roasted pricing is about the same as the big speciality roasters (L'affaire, Atlas etc- NZ$36/kg?) I guess the freshness and niche approach is what Roast your own is doing- and trying to get kiwis into roasting there own, which is probably unique.

I think the green prices may be on the high side, if you know the owners you should point them to sweetmarias to do a comparrison, however I guess the market is a lot smaller down there. One suggestion- why not ask them to stock and sell small home roast units? It would certainly mean that the homeroast buyers would come to back for green stock.

One final crittique, many of the home roasters I know in NZ buy greens direct from their local specialty roasters- for quite good prices (like NZ$12/kg). These of course are guys who have been home roasting since Moses was still in nappies. If the Roastyourown guys started a forum and provided roasters with machines etc- and maybe ran a poll like the coffeesnobs one (Australia), it might work well.

Anyway, just some observations from afar! Cheers.

dingfelder

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
good ideas

good points all around, and I will mention it to the Todd and Steph (the owners). I know Todd does read sweetmarias.

I think adding equipment is in the future plans, bothe roasters and grinders would be a good fit IMHO.

Cheers,

Ding