Cafe Cubana

pineapplebou

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone can help me clarify what a cafe cubana and/or key west cafe con leche is? are these the same thing?

and does anyone know what one is?

some tell me it is in the cream. some tell me it is by mixing sugar and a tad of coffee into a paste.

and naturally, searching cuban coffee...will give you about tens of thousands of pages. *hehe*

very grateful for any insight.

pineapplebou

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
really?!?! is it just a little to the espresso topped w/ other cream/milk? if it's all condensed milk, then wouldn't it make it into a vietnamese coffee?

coffee_beanz

May 6, 2005
Souther U.S.A.
Visit site
pineapplebou said:
really?!?! is it just a little to the espresso topped w/ other cream/milk? if it's all condensed milk, then wouldn't it make it into a vietnamese coffee?

Or is that Viennese?

I had a Cuban gentleman concoct one at my place - he added a packet of sugar to the portafilter. I had no condensed milk, so we substituted heavy whipping cream.

anar579

Jul 27, 2005
Miami, FL
Visit site
A bit late posting this but I'm new to the forum.

I've had Cuban coffee all my life... the trick is indeed in the mixture of sugar (amount as desired I suppose) with the first drops of coffee that brew until it becomes a creamy mixture that almost looks like condensed milk in thickness. When the coffee is fully brewed, it is added to the sugar mixture, and a nice thick froth is created on top. Without this process I'd say it's just plain espresso.