Cafe' Mocha

ksbell

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
I am a huge fan of Cafe' Mochas and Biancas. What is a good brand of syrup for these drinks? I LOVED Hershey's Special Dark syrup when it was out, but I can't find it anywhere now. So, other than Hershey's and Nestle's chocolate syrup, what's the best chocolate syrup for mochas? For biancas, I like the Torano (sp?) syrups. I don't like Divenchi (sp?) that you can buy in the grocery stores!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Ghiradelli...makes a kick ass chocolate...I have used Velrona chocolate in compition before..but it runs around $25 a block...and you have to hand shave it. Monin syrups in my opinion are the best for syrups....but I have never found a chocolate syrup that I have liked..monin, torani or 1886...non of their chocolates where impressive to me...but that is just me.

ksbell

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
Thanks! I have looked on their site and don't see Ghiradelli chocolate syrup. Can you buy it in any store? I've never tried Monin syrups, where can I find them?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Ghiradelli-(800)877-9338 Michael Hamburger..I think they have a syrup and have used their powder(pain on iced drinks)
Monin (800)966-5225(not sure of the rep in your area but this number will help find one)
Guittard Chocolate co. (800)468-2462 also have great chocolate syrup..thier white choclate rocks!!

G

We use Ghirardelli chocolate powder and add it to the milk before steaming/foaming the milk. It blends really, really well and doesn't tend to leave much of that chocolate residue that you find at the bottom of drinks made with chocolate syrup.

G

The best mocha I've ever had was in Jitters (Las Vegas). They used a powdered chocolate and not a syrup. This chocolate was mixed with a plain syrup (Torani?) and the espresso, and then the milk was added.

I have not found another mocha I like, even here in the cornfields of Illinois. (Amazing though that may sound.) As soon as my Conti machine gets here, I'm going to see if I can remake it. While I never worked there, I watched them make it for me about a zillion times and I believe it was the same chocolate mentioned above (not attempting spelling.) :D

G

Chocolate syrup

I live on Cafe Mochas. Because I like them so much, I had to resort to the nonfat no-whip versions to keep from turning into Jabba the mocha drinker. When I bought my Starbucks Barista machine (great machine by the way), I started with Hershey's regular and dark syrup but just wasn't happy with the taste of the choclate. I have since been using Smucker's choclate topping, which comes in a glass jar and has to be spooned out, and that's been OK. I would think that Ghiradelli's syrup would be superior to everything based on the quality of their other chocolates.

I haven't tried the Ghiradelli syrup yet, but just ordered it from the following web site:
http://kmb-enterprises.com/

They have regular, dark and white chocolate and also sell the pumps to pump it out. I'll let you know how it works.

Johnnyb

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
We use Ghirardelli dark and white(we use the white sauce as well as the powder). Our customers love it-some insist of the sauce and some on the powder.

G

Hot Coffee & Ghiradelli Powder Chocolate

:shock:

For Topher:

You may be just the coffee chef I'm looking for. I want to use an electric drip to make coffee & to somehow :roll: blend into it powdered chocolate so that the chocolate successfully dissolves. I have asked Phil at Coffee Chat & apparently the q. struck him dumb. Ghiradelli has nothing re: this on its web site. Can you help? I am not trying to make iced coffee, at least!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
why don't you try a syrup...most coffee shops use hersheys chocolate....but
Ghiradelli makes one too...ghittard rocks as well...all I can suggest is experiment. :wink:

G

Powder Ghiradelli

Thanks for your post. I have so much of the powder in canisters that I really wanted to try that. I will try working it with the milk as suggested in those earlier postings. I picked up a Connaisseur electric drip yesterday at the Goodwill, obviously never used. After my first use this morning, I am very pleased & impressed. I tried it with Queen City "Yule Nog". Will next try my usual beans, the Peerless (S.F.) "Irish Cream".
We have a local coffee house, Zadok's, that uses syrup as you recommend & it rolls the eyes up into the head it is so delicious. Too sweet for some, as poured by this Pismo Beach house, but just right for my tastes. I think I'm in a dessert coffee frame of mind when I go to a coffee house. :)