Caffe Rosto Digirosto PRO1500+HD

rglover86

Oct 3, 2006
Visit site
How would you guys rate the Caffe Rosto Digirosto PRO1500+HD? I am about to recieve one and have 30 days to try it out....am I just spinning my wheels here? Is this a waste of money (got it for $2400).

Thanks

RG

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I wish I had good news, but these roasters have a tendency to catch on fire. There are a couple of links on the web that show the burned-out carcase of the Digiroast Pro after the chaff starts a roaster fire. It seems that there is too much exposure to the heating element.

Granted, any coffee roaster can catch on fire. But for some reason, the design of this roaster seems to lend itself to problems. I would recommend you keep fire control equipment handy and insure it and your building for fire damage.

I have not worked with this roaster personally, but I considered it a while back when shopping for roasters. After I saw the pictures and read the stories I ended up going the traditional drum roaster route instead. I'm glad I did.

A better alternative is the Sonofresco roaster. The trade-off is that it roasts smaller batches, but there is virtually no chance for a roaster fire. I have used that fluid-bed roaster for some time as a sample roaster. The worst accident I had was to burn the beans because of improper placement of the roasting chamber. However, this did not damage the roaster, only wasted the beans and made a mess of the glass roasting chamber.

Since you have a 30-day trial, I'd strongly suggest you look at the potential for beans or chaff to come in contact with the heating element which would start a fire. Hopefully others on this board can attest to this firsthand.

-BG

letschat1

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Where did you get this info. I am looking at one of these.

[quote:01604c7cfa=\"BeanGrinder\"]I wish I had good news, but these roasters have a tendency to catch on fire. There are a couple of links on the web that show the burned-out carcase of the Digiroast Pro after the chaff starts a roaster fire. It seems that there is too much exposure to the heating element.

Granted, any coffee roaster can catch on fire. But for some reason, the design of this roaster seems to lend itself to problems. I would recommend you keep fire control equipment handy and insure it and your building for fire damage.

I have not worked with this roaster personally, but I considered it a while back when shopping for roasters. After I saw the pictures and read the stories I ended up going the traditional drum roaster route instead. I''m glad I did.

A better alternative is the Sonofresco roaster. The trade-off is that it roasts smaller batches, but there is virtually no chance for a roaster fire. I have used that fluid-bed roaster for some time as a sample roaster. The worst accident I had was to burn the beans because of improper placement of the roasting chamber. However, this did not damage the roaster, only wasted the beans and made a mess of the glass roasting chamber.

Since you have a 30-day trial, I''d strongly suggest you look at the potential for beans or chaff to come in contact with the heating element which would start a fire. Hopefully others on this board can attest to this firsthand.

-BG[/quote:01604c7cfa]