California warning

mjl871

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Topher,
I'm in NY and so far don't have to worry about this, but I have been watching. I heard they are going to rule on penalties soon. What I'm curious about is are they going to rule that ALL the coffee sellers are going to face potential fines? Does this include bean sellers from super markets etc. This could be a huge money maker for California. Just wondering...

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
What Is Acrylamide?The chemical acrylamide (or acrylic amide) is a white, odourless, crystal compound. It has the chemical formula C3H5NO.
It's used to make plastics and treat waste water, among other things.
Overexposure at work can cause damage to the nervous system, and it's also thought to increase the risk of cancer (13, 14, 15).
Day-to-day we are exposed to acrylamide through smoking and secondhand smoke, as well as personal care products and household items.
In 2002, Swedish scientists also discovered it in a wide range of foods, including baked goods and coffee (16).
Scientists believe the acrylamide in food is a product of the Maillard reaction. This reaction occurs when sugars and amino acids are heated above 248° F, or 120° C (17, 18).
What we do know is that when coffee beans are roasted, acrylamide is formed. There's no way to remove acrylamide from coffee, so when you drink it, you're exposing yourself to the chemical (19).

Is Acrylamide Really Harmful?
Acrylamide can definitely be harmful.
Yet, as is often the case in nutrition, the devil is in the dose.
Workplace exposure to very high doses of acrylamide can cause nerve damage and disorders of the nervous system (13, 14).
Studies in animals have also repeatedly shown that acrylamide causes cancer when eaten.
However, the doses given to animals have been 1000—100,000 times larger than the amounts humans are exposed to through diet.
Humans also metabolize acrylamide differently, so we are exposed to a lower dose of the chemical when our body breaks it down (20).
Unfortunately, there are few human studies on the safety of acrylamide in food, and the results have been inconsistent (21).
It's also important to keep in mind that acrylamide is not a new problem. Despite only recently being discovered in our food, it's likely to have been there in some amount since man started cooking.

Source:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/acrylamide-in-coffee#section2

Last edited:

mahenryak

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am following this new warning ruling, as well. I am about to open for business and don't really want to start out on the wrong foot by selling to a California customer via my website without a warning label. (Probably, not a big concern for me as I will be starting out with relative anonymity, and it is not very likely that a potential California customer will even know I exist for some time. )

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
As widely reported in the press, late last week a California judge issued a proposed ruling against the industry in a long-standing case involving California's Proposition 65, cancer, coffee, and labeling.

Here's what you should know about California's Proposition 65, acrylamide, coffee and health, and what to expect:

PROPOSITION 65 AND ACRYLAMIDE
California's Proposition 65 - "Prop 65" - originated as a 1986 ballot initiative, and is formally known as the "Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986." Among other things, Prop 65 prohibits businesses (1) from releasing certain substances into the environment, and (2) from exposing individuals to "listed substances" without providing a warning.

Proposition 65: Controversial

First, under Proposition 65 businesses are required to show the burden of proof that they should not be subject to the law - a type of "guilty until proven innocent" concept.

Second, the law empowers what are known as "bounty hunter lawsuits" brought by private (non-government) parties, a situation described as a "bonanza" for lawyers by the Orange County Register. (According to Bloomberg, last year 760 Prop 65 lawsuits were settled for a total of $30.2 million, of which $21.6 million went to attorneys.)

Third, it is alleged that Prop 65 has done nothing to actually lower cancer rates. ("I recently examined cancer rates and discovered no evidence that Proposition 65 has lowered cancer incidence among Californians." - Michael L. Marlow, The Wall Street Journal January 20, 2014.)

Finally, Prop. 65 warnings have become ubiquitous in California at retail establishments, offices, on merchandise labels, and even nationally via online retailers such as Amazon, leading some to believe that so many warnings are causing consumers to become desensitized to the messages.

GreenCoffeeGeek

Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Visit site
Just to be clear

What's happening in CA has people all acrossed the country, panicing. The truth is Coffee has a long history of healing cancer, lowering the risk of hear attack, lowering risk of multiple sclerosis, Type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer's and other health probllems.

The chemical that is sparking this "Horse Crap" of a theory is Acrylamide

Acrylamide is a chemical compound with the chemical formula C₃H₅NO.

It is a white odorless crystalline solid, soluble in water

Acrylamide in food forms from sugars and an amino acid that are naturally present in food; it does not come from food packaging or the environment like our friends out west are claiming.

Acrylamide forms from sugars and an amino acid (asparagine) during certain types of high-temperature cooking, such as frying, roasting, and baking.

Acrylamide can also be found in the treatment of drinking water for us humans. So if these companies are so willing to make claims on coffee being the bad guy, why aren't they rushing to our drinking water and food supply first?

Let's be clear, the testing was done on lab rats, not humans, they are using effects that it had on animals and yet when that same test was given on humans, the results were harmless.

according to the 2014 research review, Studies done on humans have found "no statistically significant association between dietary acrylamide intake and various cancers.

It's a natural process that comes with cooking and roasting. Also, these folks are talking about parts per billion here, this is not something that even would likley effect rodents at this level of intake. This is nothing more, or, nothing less than people getting paid big time money to rip off the people of CA. I would be very upset if I was you.

Straigt from the FDA's Mouth

"Acrylamide is produced industrially for use in products such as plastics, grouts, water treatment products, and cosmetics. Acrylamide is also found in cigarette smoke"

That's all I have to say about that :)

Happy Coffee Drinking!

GreenCoffeeGeek

Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Visit site
Just to be clear

What's happening in CA has people all acrossed the country, panicing. The truth is, Coffee has a long history of healing cancer, lowering the risk of hear attack, lowering risk of multiple sclerosis, Type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer's and other health probllems.

The chemical that is sparking this "Horse Crap" of a theory is Acrylamide

Acrylamide is a chemical compound with the chemical formula C₃H₅NO.

It is a white odorless crystalline solid, soluble in water

Acrylamide in food forms from sugars and an amino acid that are naturally present in food; it does not come from food packaging or the environment like our friends out west are claiming.

Acrylamide forms from sugars and an amino acid (asparagine) during certain types of high-temperature cooking, such as frying, roasting, and baking.

Acrylamide can also be found in the treatment of drinking water for us humans. So if these companies are so willing to make claims on coffee being the bad guy, why aren't they rushing to our drinking water and food supply first?

Let's be clear, the testing was done on lab rats, not humans, they are using effects that it had on animals and yet when that same test was given on humans, the results were harmless.

according to the 2014 research review, Studies done on humans have found "no statistically significant association between dietary acrylamide intake and various cancers.

It's a natural process that comes with cooking and roasting. Also, these folks are talking about parts per billion here, this is not something that even would likley effect rodents at this level of intake. This is nothing more, or, nothing less than people getting paid big time money to rip off the people of CA. I would be very upset if I was you.

Straigt from the FDA's Mouth

"Acrylamide is produced industrially for use in products such as plastics, grouts, water treatment products, and cosmetics. Acrylamide is also found in cigarette smoke"

That's all I have to say about that :)

Happy Coffee Drinking!

yana

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Now that this is over, anything that is cooked over 130 C has acrylamide. This means anything cooked on a bbq, on your frying pan and in your oven. Toast ? forget about it.

We are not even getting into anything deep fried. Then there is the whole snack industry....chips, doritos, pretzels, donuts....California would have had you snacking on beets and carrots