Can i use funnels instead of coffee drippers (for cold brew process)?

Mr_Orange

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
So the cold brew process I'm following is one by DIY Trying on youtube (can't post links yet).

Got 2 main questions. BTW, i've never made cold brew before:

1) In that video it says you need a coffee dripper to do the filtering. I already have a bunch of glass and steel funnels lying around. Can i just use those instead of the drippers? I read up on other cold brew processes and some even use just a plastic bottle so i'm guessing it might be fine to use whatever. I wonder if the coffee drippers are more important for creating hot coffee, not cold brew. The only unique thing i noticed on the drippers is they have those ridges on the inside. What do those things do?

2) In that video, it seems like the only thing they used as a filter is the paper filter. I read up on other processes and most people say they filter the coffee through steel mesh first and then though paper or cheesecloth. Is the steel mesh part really necessarily or can i just do the paper. And how many oz of coffee can a single paper filter properly filter (since they're usually intended just for one cup of coffee). Can i pass say a gallon of coffee through one paper filter or would i need to swap out a few? The video doesn't really elaborate on that.

I know there's the toddy system that's really popular, but i want to see if i can just use the stuff i have lying around first.

Mr_Orange

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I also read somewhere too that someone used 3 paper filters stacked for cold brew.

This is my first time making coffee of any sort, btw. I've been just going to Starbucks and mcdonalds before this. Sorry for sounding like such a noob.

For now, I'm more just worried that if i might do the wrong thing and make a bunch of coffee that's way too strong, or unsanitary, or toxic, or whatever it may be.
I'm less unconcerned about getting the perfect taste or quality.

I want to save on coffee money and figured i can just make huge batches of cold brew and freeze many bottles of them.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I want to save on coffee money and figured i can just make huge batches of cold brew and freeze many bottles of them.

Hello Mr_Orange,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

When you go to Starbucks or McDonalds, do you buy iced coffee or hot coffee? What kind of coffee drinks will you be making from your cold brew?

I don't recall anyone on this Forum ever mentioning that they make huge batches of cold brewed coffee and then freezing it in bottles. Most people make enough to last a couple of weeks and store it in their refrigerator (usually for making iced coffee drinks).

If you do a search on this Forum (the search box is at the top right corner of your screen) you will find the various threads where the cold brew technique is discussed.

Rose

Mr_Orange

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I use the search function on forums all the time. Couldn't find answers to my specific questions.

I basically just want to know if those ridges inside coffee drippers are a big deal. Especially if i'm just making cold brew.

With all these funnels i already have i can get 8 bottles filtering at the same time.

I'd be happy to buy drippers or maybe even the Toddy system if totally necessary. Just wanted to check first before i pulled the trigger.

I drink straight black cold coffee usually. I'll occasionally have hot.

The freeze in batches thing isn't something from these forums. Read about that a lot elsewhere though. I have a big chest freezer, and i'll have days (once every few months) where i prep huge batches of meals/drinks and freeze them. So naturally, i'll be thinking of ways to work the coffee intake into this routine too.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I use the search function on forums all the time. Couldn't find answers to my specific questions.

I basically just want to know if those ridges inside coffee drippers are a big deal. Especially if i'm just making cold brew.

Drip coffee makers have the ridges in their brew baskets too, so it's probably something that's been around for a very long time.

I did a Google search and this is some of what I found.

Ridges keep the filter paper from sticking flat to the funnel.

Curved ridges on the inside of the cone allows the coffee to exit through both the side and bottom of the dripper.

The raised ridges (fluting) ensures that the paper filter doesn't hug the dripper wall, facilitating better flow.

Ridges allow the paper filter to float in the device. This serves several purposes. One, provide insulation during the brew process. And two, provide the water with a flow direction.

Because a dripper with ridges allows the filter to float, you have to be careful pouring the water. If you pour the water near the filter, it will pass straight through and dilute the final brew because there isn’t a solid wall on the other side of the filter to block the water

Ridges help prevent a vacuum from forming ( which slows the speed of the water draining through).

The cone-shaped design with spiral ridges inside the funnel, allow the coffee to drain evenly from the base and sides.

Rose

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
May I respectfully suggest that if you're doubting the efficacy of your funnels, to skip that method of making your cold brew. You can do something similar to the Toddy with nothing more than a large jar to steep the coffee in for 12 hours, and then filter it through one of your filters. Secure a piece of fine linen over that jar, turn it over to strain/filter, and you're golden.

Mr_Orange

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I see, so i guess the coffee drippers don't matter as much for cold brew since your not packing grounds into it. The ridges just help the grounds soak more evenly and drip faster due to less of a vacuum.

I think I'll just brew the grounds in a mason jar for 12 hours, clamp 2 or 3 paper filters to the opening with the mason jar cap rim, flip that whole thing over, and let it drip out over another mason jar with a funnel over it.

Thanks for the advice.

Mr_Orange

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Mr_Orange

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
That was the other thing. I read in a few places that people use Cafiza to clean all their coffee cups and machinery.

Would that work on the cloth filter bags?

Are there better alternatives?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site