Can you help an idiot?

Jamz006

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
This must seem like a very silly question but It''s been bothering me for a while now and I need an answer! :grin:

What is the difference between a latte and a cappuccino? :oops:

At my local cafe the only visible difference seems to be that the cappuccino has cocoa powder sprinkled over the top but I''m pretty sure they''re doing it wrong. I would ask them, but the fact that they can''t even spell cappuccino has persuaded me otherwise! :roll:

A simple answer would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jamie[/b]

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

The description for these drinks varies, but here is a basic short answer to your question.

Cappuccino – Espresso topped with a cloud of frothed milk.
One-third espresso, one-third steamed milk, and one-third foamed milk

Cafe Latte – Espresso with layers of steamed milk and frothed milk.
One-third espresso, two-thirds steamed milk, with some frothed milk on top.

Rose

ElPugDiablo

But in the US, we like to give it an American spin, so anything goes. But if you want to be technical...according to World Barista Championship: A cappuccino is a beverage of ratios, producing a harmonious balance of espresso, steamed milk and frothed milk. A traditional cappuccino is a five- to six-ounce beverage (150 to 180ml), served in a five- to six-ounce (150 to 180ml) cup with a handle. (Please note: For the purpose of the WBC cappuccinos should not be topped with any additional spices and/or powered flavorings.) The US Barista Championship uses the same definition. If we use this as THE definition, then the 12 ounce, 16 ounce, 20 ounce drinks that are on most of the US coffeehouse's menu as cappuccino are wrong, and the 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 definition is also wrong.

weilala

Aug 23, 2008
Visit site
hi guys, didnt know that coffee has such a following...i like coffee but yeah, its all very technical here and i dont get most of it yeah, is there like some kind of noobie thread... hahaha , where i can perhaps read up on... :)