Cant seem to get rid of paper-filter taste in my coffee!

Mashael44

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

I've purchased this expensive coffee beans and was very looking forward to drink my fav cup of coffee!

first day after it was roasted every thing was going well ! the coffee tasted like heaven.

I used "no name coffee filter paper" here in Canada, my coffee tastes like paper :sad: i tried to rinse it before i use it (avec cold water) but none seem to work!

P.S. I use the pour over method and store my beans in freezer on account to the barista's advice.

Any thoughts?

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I have the technivorm kbt741 and use the freiling 23 karat gold filter. I love it. Probably overkill for your pourover, but possibly one of the less expensive gold type filters may work well for you and the issue of the paper taste.

Len

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
first day after it was roasted every thing was going well ! the coffee tasted like heaven.

Hello "Mashael44"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

How did you brew your coffee on the first day (when it tasted like heaven) ?

Was the coffee fresh the first day, and then frozen when you tried to brew it the second time?

How are you freezing the beans? Is it possible that the beans picked up an odd flavor from something else that's in your freezer?

Rose

Mashael44

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello "Mashael44"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Was the coffee fresh the first day, and then frozen when you tried to brew it the second time?

How are you freezing the beans? Is it possible that the beans picked up an odd flavor from something else that's in your freezer?

Rose

Well, the barista ground it for me and put it in a well-sealed jar in freezer.

well, i just used the pour over method thats all :(

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Coffee in freezer is a mistake. Coffee is like baking soda and absorbs all the odors.

Except we don't put open containers of coffee in the freezer.

Just this last week I pulled some coffee from Flores out of my freezer, that I had roasted 7/25/13. It was immaculate, hadn't lost a step, either as a pourover or as espresso.

Ebert989

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Never put coffee beans in the freezer because they always catch this smell of staleness. I always like my coffee beans roasted fresh and I think maybe it's the staleness that's making you get that paper taste.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I read you're supposed to use boiled water to rinse the filter, which also heats the cup. I used 20 oz. of >200 degree water and I was prepared to use more next time if I tasted paper, but I didn't.

nomadmobilecoffee

Jul 15, 2014
Harrisonburg, VA
Visit site
First of all, if you're serious about your coffee you need to invest in a good quality burr grinder. Pre-ground coffee stales quickly, so grinding your coffee before you brew will extend the life of the beans. Trust me, it makes a difference.

How much coffee do you buy at a time? If you consume 1 lb of coffee within 1-2 weeks, there is no need to keep it in the freezer. If it will take you more than 2 weeks to consume your coffee, buy smaller quantities. Also, when you rinse your paper filter, you need to do it with hot water, same temperature as what you would use to brew your coffee. For pour-over, this should be around 205F. You can also try "unbleached" paper filters since they are not supposed to have that paper taste.

I brew my coffee on a Kalita 185 all the time and never have any paper taste issues.

Last edited:

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
Did the coffee come from a home roaster ? sometimes if green coffee is stored in paper bags or cardboard boxes to long it can obtain a paper filter taste over time that you might not have tasted until the roast was rested.