Capresso Infinity + Rancilio Silvia

savaytse66

Oct 26, 2008
Visit site
I've decided to take the plunge and purchase a nice espresso machine. I've been torn between the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia, like it seems so many others have been. I'm heavily leaning towards the Silvia, but reading a few different forums has scarred me a little.

I have a Capresso Infinity grinder that I bought about 9 months ago for use with my french press pot. But reading many threads on the subject, it seems many people do not recommend this grinder for use with the Silvia stating that it will not grind fine enough. How true is this, and will it really make a very noticeable difference? Quite honestly, it's a stretch for me to shell out $600 on a machine, let alone another $200-$300 on a grinder. I currently have no experience making espresso with anything other than a cheap steam machine, so I'm not going to notice any really subtle differences anyway. Am I better off with a Gaggia Classic + Capresso Infinity? Will the Silvia + Infinity make sub-par shots in comparison?

This is a lot to spend on espresso equipment, so I need to make sure I get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Chris

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Infinity is a great all around grinder. It will grind fine enough for any machine, but the consistency isn't on par with commercial grinders, but neither is the price. I think it will do just fine, but you won't have quite the same amount of flexibility with the Infinity for super tuning it day to day. Most would say spend $400+ on a grinder then save for a machine. That is good advice, but having an outstanding grinder and waiting for a machine is no fun either.

From what I've read a Classic is easily on par with the Silvia. BUT if you're a lover of milk based drinks the Silvia might be better as it offers more steam power. To be honest, I recently acquired a lever machine and IMO it blows everything else out of the water. It pulls better shots than the Linea at work, seen it time and time again. For your $$$ that could be an option for you. Nice used levers can be had for decent money. Later!