Chalkboards curiosity...

crimsonlatte

May 27, 2006
Melbourne
Visit site
Why is it that Coffee Shops/Cafe's write their specialties/menu/'menu of the day' on chalkboards and leave them outside?

I really need to know so any info anybody gives would be much appreciated!

chalkboards??

I've been to three shops that had their menus on chalkboards and every time I tell my partner that we should do that too.I don't know why some do and some don't,but my guess would be to keep people from stealing,or changing the worlds around:DLetter boards are also more expensive,and you have to keep up with them.Chalkboards are easier and convenient,and they give that MomandPop feeling to the shop.You can also change the prices with the swipe of a rag 8) mr.esp.

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
we use chalk boards for all our menu boards, you are right it fits into the image of a coffee house. it makes it easy to change and explain the menu and looks less corporate. we painted our own chalk board for the last store 12' wide

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
I think of it in two ways:

its a home made thing and individual designed a wrote it out, people comment on our latest board all the time. " who got up there to write all that" ita a novelty.

The next idea is history you are right about that we spend our entire childhood and teenage years staring at a chalk board it is a comfort thing.

other menu boards create barriers with a customer, chalk boards done correctly will draw customers in.

H Man

Jun 21, 2006
NYC
Visit site
Muddycup said:
I have a couple of pics on the myspace account for the beacon store that shows the Chalk board that I painted myself.

www.myspace.com/muddycupbeacon

Hi there Jim,

Those pics of your place are too cool. A real inspiration as I am in the very early stages of planning a coffee shop of my own. Kudos to you on creating what looks to be a really great business.

Can you explain what you might by "painting" it on yourself?

Thanks

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
Muddy is right

Muddy Cup is right. In my shops I always left a section, if not the whole board( of the sidewalk A-frame), for the opener to "express" themselves in what ever manner they wanted(within reason)...cartoons, trite quotes, Haiku whatever.

Had lots of customers come by just to check out what we had to say that day and the employees loved it..stimulated lots of good conversations/arguments....but you have to get a whitty opener and it helped that my shops were located on or near a University that was more or less liberal or was not turned off by others opinions. Election years were always lots of fun round here especially since Bush was in Austin. One of the most memorable read: "Vote for Bush! Get him the Hell out of Austin". Sombody later ripped the quote and printed up bumper stickers. Go a bit of free press out of it too. Have fun with it.

H Man

Jun 21, 2006
NYC
Visit site
Just realized I wasn't too clear with my question before....

Muddycup, can you explain how you "paint" a chalkboard? Does that mean you can buy some kind of product in paintable form that replicates a chalkboard's texture?

Thanks

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
painting chalkboard

you paint the permanent things on the board...logo, drink names, etc and leave blank spots for prices or anything else you may want to change. Actually using chalk on the whole board is usualy pretty hard to see and in C.Shops there are always fluids flying everywhere. A runny sign looks very bad...people think you lack the ability to clean which is why whiteboards are moe or less useless...can't get em wet