charging for togo and inhouse coffee

bdepew

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
how does that work?

I mean the porcelan/glass cups are smaller right then the ones to go, ones to go are normally 8-20oz, do you charge the same for the small glasses?

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
Which begs the question... size of To-Go vs In-Cafe' service

I think a companion question to consider is just how you'll serve the in-cafe' espresso or cappuccino verses the to-go order.

One thought is to clearly identify to-go orders as "American Style 12 oz. or 16 oz......(ouch).....cappuccinos. In shop clients sometimes prefer the traditional ristretto machiatto, which would be absurd if cranked out in a 12oz. cup.

My curiousity is how you are communicating with your customers? Do you make it clear that their "big gulp" orders are not traditional, or do you let them figure it all out?

I've been mulling this over in our sales model, although we are not traditional sit down locations. We'd like to offer demitasse cup servings of espresso, etc., but know that we'll have to accomodate the coffee flavored drink clients............ which, of course, make up the greater gross dollar value of most coffee businesses.

Any comments......?

nentony

Jul 17, 2006
Satellite Beach, Fl
Visit site
Hey, that's a good idea. I really like the idea of putting a "traditional" on the menu. Right now we just give it to them when they ask, I'm sure many don't realize what they are drinking isn't. This would at least get them to ask about it. I guess I'll look for my chalk.

Tony

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
Tony:

I've been working on a sales model for this past year and that very issue has come up time and time again. How can a quality coffee retailer educate without insulting the clientel?

The best I can do is simply offer two menu sections......

Traditional Roma Espresso vs American Espresso Beverages
(wording may change.....)

Point being, let the client ask for an explanation. When in Tokyo way back during my Viet Nam days, I first saw "plastic" models of food! I loved the concept and have have carried that and photos of the final serve with me ever since. I was amazed, through survey, just how many espresso shop clients suffer embarrassment when ordering. They don't really know what everything is, and are intimidated. That obstacle alone opens up doors of opportunity. Make the ordering process simple, easy and if possible "graphical." What they see is usually what they'll buy.

My ultimate goal is in making the sale. Although the purist at heart when it comes to espresso, my attitude is........... "If they want swill, then dammit, give 'em swill and make sure to get their money!!!"

Javamom

May 19, 2005
SW Florida
Visit site
HI

What should you serve a macchiatto to go in?

Tony to keep the customer mugs in site of the customer? I like that idea and would like to do that in my store when I open it.

:)

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
cups in site

Be sure to check with you local health inspector before you keep a bunch of customers cups in house. I always loved the idea and feel it created...the city not so much.

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
Javamom said:
HI

What should you serve a macchiatto to go in?:)

That's an interesting question, as the serving is going to be less than 4 oz. if it's done per my recipe? Sooooo.....you know those little "taste test" size frozen yogurt paper cups!?? (just joking, but almost not.)

How do you serve "anything" to go under 6oz. and use packaging that maintains the heat long enough for the client to enjoy the drink?