CHARLOTTE, N.C

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Hey,
Who all is going to Charlotte for the SCAA show this weekend? I hope I am not the only one with a coffeeforums shirt there!!
Later
Topher

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
you gots to be kidding me...only 2 people out of all the people on this forum...oh well Rockcreekcoffee pm me your name if you want and I will shoot you my cell..and we can shoot the fat over a beer.
Later
Topher
a.k.a Christopher Conover

paulys

Feb 20, 2006
hamilton, NJ
Visit site
topher said:
you gots to be kidding me...only 2 people out of all the people on this forum...oh well Rockcreekcoffee pm me your name if you want and I will shoot you my cell..and we can shoot the fat over a beer.
Later
Topher
a.k.a Christopher Conover

Beer?? not a coffee?

sorry, can't make it, getting ready for the opening... but do tell all the details.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
trust me...enough coffee willl be drunk...I drink about 3 post of coffee a day...need beer to come down!! Good luck with you opening!!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Topher:

I was susposed to make this SCAA show but got switched to another project about a week ago. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement, but what can you do when you have a customer move their opening date :evil: Well %$#&^%* guess I'll have to catch the next trade show. We'll see...In any case drink a few Bombay's for me :twisted:

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
I leave tomorrow morning! Let's try to touch base, come by the Bellissimo or American Barista & Coffee School booth anytime. Yes, beer sounds better then a 30th+ coffee of the day :)

- Matt

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
MRSRoasting...was it a disappointment to you? I was not really impressed...I know the SCAA had some problems this year...but it seems that every year the show gets smaller...not just vendors but the turn out this year was not close to years past. I walked the floor in about 3 hours..sigh...I caught an early flight on Sunday instead of returning to the floor. :(

MRSRoasting

Mar 9, 2006
South Carolina
Visit site
I thought it was a descent show however it was my first so I was a little awe struck. I go to make a few industry key contacts and that's it outside of the fun of playing with equipment and products. I'm interested in some of the other shows that are around to see how this really compares.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
sigh...don't get me wrong...the show was o.k. but do you understand my disappointment after shelling out a nice about of cheddar only to be able to walk the whole show in 3 to 4 hours? I did see some cool stuff though such as the www.cloverequipment.com a brewer that brews single servings...a customer could get what ever coffee they want in less time than it takes in a press. It was also fun to watch some of the barista comp. I have to take my hat off to all that competed! It is not easy with so many people watching and critiquing every action. I was upset that I couldn't eat any of the tasty food on the floor..I had 3 teeth pulled the day before the show :(

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
I didn't get to go. Why do you think it's getting smaller each year? I would have thought it would be the other way around.

It definitely was smaller this year (8,000 attendees) than last year (10,000 attendees); but I do not believe that this is a trend. Seattle was a much more convenient location for many of the industry regulars and drew a large volume of attendees from the surrounding area and west coast; additionally, the World Barista Championships was held in conjunction with last year's show, meaning that there were a few hundred additional international attendees on-hand for the competition.

Despite Charlotte being a great city for the conference (friendly people, inexpensive, clean city, everything in close walking distance and an endless number of cafes and bars), it was not very easy to get to - I had this discussion with a number of us hanging around in the airport Tuesday morning before fanning out across the country for various connecting flights. 22 hours later, I was home.

Rockcreekcoffee

Dec 8, 2004
Billings, MT
Visit site
Charlotte

Charlotte for us this year was more "work related" than "play related" that Seattle was. Yes, it was lighter attended this year, but I agree with Andrew (Cafemakers) that Seattle is a one-of-a kind city and it being paired with good coffee.

It was difficult and very expensive to get to Charlotte. SCAA did a great job in getting it all together for this show. I attend quite a few classes and networked the entire show. I made some great contacts and wouldn't have changed anything. I do think that the SCAA should take a lesson from Coffee Fest and the great seminars they offer and for free!

Next year it's in Long Beach and it will be alot easier for people to get in/out of the area. Plus near the convention center this year, they just revitalized the area and it's really great, plus there are some great coffee houses to see.

Peggy

PS - Topher we never connected :(