Cleaning Plastic Storage bins

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I haven't posted in quite a while.

We use NSF approved plastic bins to store roasted coffee. Trouble is, coffee oil has started to build up.
Any suggestions for how to clean them out? I'd rather not use vinegar or soap. Both leave a funky smell or taste, that's almost as hard to remove as the oil.

Thank you!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
There is a powdered coffee machine cleaner caller Urnex that works well on plastic containers. Depending on the size of your containers, I'm guessing that one packet would work for each one. Fill the container hot water and the Urnex powder and let it soak for a while. Then rinse it out a few times and let it air dry.

Also, you could use baking soda and hot water and do the same thing.

Whatever you use, just be sure to rinse the containers out thoroughly.

thCapn

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Simple Green does a good job on oils. Don't use anything abrasive that will leave tiny scratches in the plastic. Scratches will collect oils and contaminants faster. Many a batch of home brewed beer has been runed that way.

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Thank you folks. I appreciate your help. FYI, these are 40 gallon bins. So they're pretty large.

I'm thinking of combining the baking soda with warm water, and then scrubbing with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Any thoughts? I don't think they'd be too abrasive.

We use Simple Green around the shop, but I'm hesitant to use it inside of the coffee bins or the equipment. The smell is pretty pungent, and would be a challenge to remove.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm thinking of combining the baking soda with warm water, and then scrubbing with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Any thoughts? I don't think they'd be too abrasive.

Are the bins stained? I've used Urnex coffee urn cleaner to get the brown stains out of tupperware pitchers that had iced tea in them, and the containers came out looking like new.

You can try the baking soda soak, and then put some baking soda on a sponge and scrub with that. If needed, try the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers as a backup. They have a very mild abrasive in them, and you won't need to scrub hard. Just be sure to rinse the bins a few times when you're done.

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
How many packets of Urnex will you be using for each 40 gallon container? If you fill the containers up with hot water and let them soak, will you have a problem emptying all of that water out?

Hi PinkRose,

I haven't looked at the Urnex product close enough to determine a concentration mixture yet but my thought was that it should be cheaper than new containers. Or perhaps they have something else for me to consider. Also, the hot water should help dissolve the oils and brake it down for flushing them out.

Most of my containers are not that large and I thought that I would first start by using a solution and wipe them down to see if this took care of them. If they end up needing to soak, I thought I would put them in a bath tub and soak them there. The 5 gallon ones I can just dump them over in the tub after soaking. At least that is my plan and this could change.

For larger ones like 40 Gal. tubs, I would use a small pump that I got from Home Depot that will pump them out quite quickly. When you fill them up with water they get pretty heavy (8 lbs per gallon) even the 5 gallon ones are difficult to move around.

I've been wrong before and I may need to plan something different, I won't know until I've tried it.

~Jerry

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
Now you really have me thinking about it...:images:

Here's a couple other ideas.

• [h=1]Cupz™ Dishware Detergent[/h]
[h=1]http://www.urnexbrand.com/products/Cupz_Dishware_Detergent.aspx

[/h]
  • [h=1]Café Wipz Coffee Equipment Cleaning Wipes[/h]http://www.urnexbrand.com/products/Cafe_Wipz_Coffee_Equipment_Cleaning_Wipes.aspx

I think I'll give them a call next week and see what they recommend. :mrgreen: