Cleaning You Coffee Making Equipment. & How Often !!

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
We have for years used simple Vinegar, run it through our coffee makers,
and it seemed to clean out the inside calcium build up in the Maker.

The head system in the Industrial makers is much more of a Quality piece,
but , how often should they be cleaned ?

Is there a Standard Tool kit, or Brush set for this task.

What about the Vinegar, is that to old school, or are Old ways the best way ?

Thanks Rick.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
There are faster ways now that only require one pass to truly descale your machine. Citric Acid is by far the easiest way to clean it in one pass. Also its pretty cheap and will usually rinse out 2 or 3 passes.

I've seen my wife clean her pot with vinegar and it normally takes between 3 and 4 rinsing before it comes to that point where you can't smell the vinegar anymore.

Products out there you can use are Dezcal by Urnex, ScaleKleen by Everpure, and Better Brew Coffee Maker cleaner just to name a few.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I do agree with CC... citric acid is a great descaler that is very effective and cheap. Wouldn't waste my time with vinegar as it is very slow acting and requires too much rinsing.

To add to the list of descalers I should mention durgol as it is extremely effective/fast, but is also expensive as well. That is what I did use before I found a great deal on citric acid on ebay... Think it was 2 lbs. for about $15. If I've read right, most aftermarket descalers have citric acid as the active ingredient so don't waste your money on a name brand. Later!