Clever Coffee Dripper

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I had my first cup made with a Clever Dripper today and I have to say I really like it and how easy it is to use. I have to admit I like the way a press tastes but hate the mouth feel with all the gritty left over feel but never spent a lot of time trying to perfect it like I have with the Chemex so maybe I could of got it to the point it wasn't so bad, plus cleaning it was a pain.

I'm really looking forward to spending some time with it, it seems like there are a few different things a guy can try as far as immersion times, grind and ratios.

I'd love to hear from anyone that uses one and there preferred methods.

My first method.

Coffee: Costa Rica light roast (Clever really brought out the nutty flavor)
3:30 total immersion time (not including draw down, I forgot to time that)
Medium coarse grind (similar to what I use for Chemex)
16 grams coffee to 220 grams water
And of course 200 degree water temp

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
duffyjr... I use a Clever Dripper a lot... same coffee/water ratio... I do start the draw process at 3 minutes since it can take a full minute to filter into the cup. I probably grind just a tad finer than my chemex.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
hi duffyjr. some photos, photos.. please....

I'll try taking some pics this coming weekend. All I have is the camera on my phone and I find it's a bit hard to get a good ones but I'll sure try. Even though the Clever is easy it's still a little more work than I'm willing to do on a work day morning when I have my cup one.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
duffyjr... I use a Clever Dripper a lot... same coffee/water ratio... I do start the draw process at 3 minutes since it can take a full minute to filter into the cup. I probably grind just a tad finer than my chemex.

I honestly forgot to figure in the draw down so I'm not sure how long it took but I'll bet it was close to a minute. I'll try a shorter steep next time.

If I may ask, what brand/size of filters do you use with the Clever? Also I seen some videos and some say to stir the bed at a certain times, have you tried this?

I also ran out of your huehue last week but I'll bet it's really good thru the Clever. While I got your attention I wanted to ask, do you always have a huehue available on your site?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I honestly forgot to figure in the draw down so I'm not sure how long it took but I'll bet it was close to a minute. I'll try a shorter steep next time.

If I may ask, what brand/size of filters do you use with the Clever? Also I seen some videos and some say to stir the bed at a certain times, have you tried this?

I also ran out of your huehue last week but I'll bet it's really good thru the Clever. While I got your attention I wanted to ask, do you always have a huehue available on your site?

I use the Filtron filters ... I couldn't find a 'generic' filter that I was better than the Filtron so I just stuck with them. I have seen the 'stir' instruction but never stir. I typically will bloom the coffee with 50 or so grams of water then pour the rest of the water and agitate the coffee bed. Sit for 3 min / drain.

I do have the Providencia Guat and it should be around for a few more months. I sell enough Guat that I have a Guat offering year-round.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I took a bunch of pics but like I said my phone camera is hard to get a good clear pic. I do have a better digital camera I will try next time but have to get out the manual and bone up on how to use it.

First I thought I'd throw in a pic of my favorite pot holder, I use it only when I make coffee. I used some beans I got in the mail yesterday and ground them a little finer than I did last time but after looking at the pic it may still be to course compared to other images I have seen online. I also decreased the steep time to 3 minutes. All the pics I took of the draw down didn't come out very good but it gives you an idea of the setup I'm using.

0120181851a.jpg0120181823a.jpg0120181833.jpg0120181847.jpg0120181848a.jpg

So far I've only made single cups but the wife will be home tomorrow so I will try a bigger batch. All in all I like the ease of using this plus the clean up isn't bad and it makes a tasty cup.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Have you tried grinding the coffee a bit finer? That grind looks closer to a french press grind. The cup will be much richer if you go a bit finer.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Have you tried grinding the coffee a bit finer? That grind looks closer to a french press grind. The cup will be much richer if you go a bit finer.

That was only the second time I have used the clever and yes I need to grind it a bit finer. The first time I only made one cup and it was pretty good but this time I made two cups and it was weak. The recipe I tried said to use a courser grind for the bigger batch so I'm still experimenting. I have the older Virtuoso and it was set at 28 which is what I have been using for the Chemex. I set it at 18/20 for my cup one so I'll try splitting that and go from there.

Thanks topher I was hoping to get some feed back on my grind.