Clover coffeemakers, anyone?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Dealer price was about $6k; the $11k figure was retail.

I foresee SBux redesigning the things (sans squeegee) and producing a couple thousand in China for select A-AAA locations. Thereafter, don't expect them coming back on the market. The patent was a major part of the purchase; it does SBux just as much good to bury the thing from their smaller competition as it does to use it in their own stores.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
CCafe said:
I've always thought that they were a neat product but I really think $11K is asking a tad much for it.

Well, if you're getting more than twice what you usually get for drip coffee is it still expensive? I'd say it's dirt cheap and a great investment. Unfortunately, most small operators don't look at it this way and ignored it based simply on sticker shock. Truth is, it was a great differentiator and people were paying as much as $7 a cup, gladly, for a custom single cup of joe. Makes that old Bunn look like a waste of space at that point! :D

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Here's the thing though. As more people start pinching their wallets a little more I can almost guarantee you that a $7.00 cup of Joe is out of the question. I don't care how you want to state potential profit. If people don't buy into it then you have a very expensive paper weight sitting on your counter.

Personally I think you might be able to purchase some swamp land in Texas or maybe sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo far easier then pushing a $7.00 cup of Joe that may only be marginally better then something brewed in a Bunn BrewWise or a Fetco Extractor series machine.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
CCafe said:
Here's the thing though. As more people start pinching their wallets a little more I can almost guarantee you that a $7.00 cup of Joe is out of the question. I don't care how you want to state potential profit. If people don't buy into it then you have a very expensive paper weight sitting on your counter.

Personally I think you might be able to purchase some swamp land in Texas or maybe sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo far easier then pushing a $7.00 cup of Joe that may only be marginally better then something brewed in a Bunn BrewWise or a Fetco Extractor series machine.

Has nothing to do with the equipment. It has to do with the custom single cup serving on demand not to mention YOUR choice of coffee not what the shop owner decides to brew and stick out in airpots. And to tell you the truth, Bunn and Fetco don't even compare unless they're brewing only on demand.

ElPugDiablo

taylisyphon.jpg

innovated_3300_dripstation.jpg

bod_cham.jpg

Here are a few less pricey brew on demand system.

BTW, Matt, are you going to be in New Haven soon to do a installation? I love to see it in action. Plus stop by my shop in New Haven.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
But how long do they take and how much skill is required? That's the real problem. I still can't get the press just right but the Clover was pretty much a no brainer.

BTW, installed in New Haven two weeks ago. :D

ElPugDiablo

Fresh Roaster said:
But how long do they take and how much skill is required? That's the real problem. I still can't get the press just right but the Clover was pretty much a no brainer.

BTW, installed in New Haven two weeks ago. :D
Brew on demand always take a little longer, Clover included. An efficient run 4 group brew per cup contraption can be faster than Clover. Most of the Clover operators think to get it right, it take a bit of trial and error, and tasting and adjusting. It's not set it and forget it yet, but I would think Starbucks would try for that direction. I had very good Clovered coffee and pretty average one, could be the bean, could be the roast and could be the man with the squeegee.

Mark got his machine in? I have to go check it out.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Mark got his machine in? I have to go check it out.

Yes he did. Didn't know you two were aquainted. :D

Wasn't an easy install though and Yellow Freight did a "bang up" job delivering. :( What they didn't manage to shake loose, they broke. Think we've got it all back together now. :D

By the way, have you checked his website? I think he did a wonderful job, at least so far.

www. barebeanscoffee.com