COFFEE ACHIEVER

theshulamite

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
As I live in so. Florida, I have begun to drink alot of iced coffee. I brew with a mr. coffee drip machine. Twelve cups of filtered water and 4 large scoops of dark roast folgers. I would like to know how much caffine is lost, if any, by brewing, chilling, and drinking the next day. I know some may be horrified by this. But it works for me. thanks for your input------------robert

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Hi Robert.

main.php

.....to Coffee Forums

Here is some interesting info taken from Wikipedia:

- Robusta coffee contains about 40–50% more caffeine than Arabica.

- Lighter roasts have more caffeine.

Caffeine content

Depending on the type of coffee and method of preparation, the caffeine content of a single serving can vary greatly. On average, a single cup of coffee (about 200 milliliters) or a single shot of espresso (about 30 mL) can be expected to contain the following amounts of caffeine:

* Drip coffee: 115–175 mg (560–850 mg/L)
* Espresso: 60 mg (2000 mg/L)
* Brewed/Pressed: 80–135 mg (390–650 mg/L)
* Instant: 65–100 mg (310–480 mg/L)
* Decaf, brewed: 3–4 mg
* Decaf, instant: 2–3 mg

End Wikipedia entries.

Caffe Biscotto's Thoughts (in summary):

- I believe your Folgers brand still uses Robusta beans, which as described above, contains about 40-50% more caffeine than coffees that use Arabica beans.
- Since you prefer the darker roasted coffee, you're getting less caffeine than you would from a lighter roast.
- I'm not sure how brewing affects caffeine content, although any type of heat application, I would guess, would lessen the caffeine content even further, since it is lessened by roasting time.
- Nothing I have read indicates that any chilling or storing methods for any period of time would alter the caffeine content after your coffee has already been brewed.

If all of this is too much info to digest right now, you could take the drip coffee estimate of 115-175 mg caffeine per serving and adjust lower for it being dark roasted versus light, then adjust higher for it being Robusta beans versus Arabica. It probably balances out to within the estimate of 115-175 mg per serving.