Coffee and Mineral stains

MarcBeck

Top Poster Of Month
Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Hi All! I'm new here. Nice forum(s)!

I have a cleaning question: My Rocket Cellini's drip tray has mega coffee and mineral stains and I can't find a product that will remove them. I've tried vinegar, vinegar and baking soda, CLR, Crud Cutter, WD-40, CAFIZA (which did help but not 100%), rubbing alcohol...and I'm out of ideas. The Cellini itself is spotless. It's only the drip tray.

Does anyone have any magic solutions to remove this crud? I even considered (I haven't done this yet) soaking it in ammonia which should not react with the stainless steel but this would be a last resort. Oh, and I have not tried scrubbing it with steel wool as I figured that would scratch the surface and lead to more problems.

Thank you all in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 28

MarcBeck

Top Poster Of Month
Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Just thought I'd give an update on this.

I saw on youtube a guy showing how to clean his stainless steel sink using Draino Max Gel. He smeared the gel around with a scrub brush and let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinsed.

I figured the drip pan is stainless steel so what the heck..try it. It helped but did not remove enough of the crud to call it a success.

Next I tried soaking the drip pan (inside) with ammonia, sealed in plastic bag, left in the sunshine to get it good an warm. Again, it helped but didn't do the trick.

Next I tried Barkeeper Friend and scrub brush. This was a waste of time as there was no change.

Then I sprayed the pan with Dawn...the kind you see on TV that gets everything off and let that soak for 30 minutes, again took a plastic kitchen scrub brush to it. Still no luck.

Finally, for the last attempt of the day I used CAFIZA (which has helped in the past) along with boiling water and soaked that for about 45 minute. In a word - meh!

I've been considering Lysol toilet bowl cleaner but bleach might not be a good thing to use on stainless steel. There has to be something that will dissolve this caked on crud. Maybe a long soak with vinegar?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would try a citric acid bath ... you can find it at Walmart lot of places in the food canning areas. It's slow going so you will probably have to soak for several days.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
. . There is a product called The Pink Stuff that works to clean mineral deposits and food stains from sinks. It's a slightly abrasive paste. It may work for you. Amazon and other places sell it.

Attachments

• Pink Stuff.jpg
    Pink Stuff.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 15

MarcBeck

Top Poster Of Month
Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Out of frustration I tried Eferdent tables! It helped. It removed the hazy mineral deposits and removed most of the coffee ring around the bottom of the pan. In a week I’ll soak it again with Efferdent and see how it does.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Out of frustration I tried Eferdent tables! It helped. It removed the hazy mineral deposits and removed most of the coffee ring around the bottom of the pan. In a week I’ll soak it again with Efferdent and see how it does.
If that doesnt work try the citric acid... years ago I bought a used LaMarzocco Linea - the citric acid ate all of the old corrosion / minerals / scale

MarcBeck

Top Poster Of Month
Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
. . There is a product called The Pink Stuff that works to clean mineral deposits and food stains from sinks. It's a slightly abrasive paste. It may work for you. Amazon and other places sell it.
I did try pink stuff. After scrubbing for a very long time I gave up as it wasn't making a dent in the ring around the pan.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
If that doesnt work try the citric acid... years ago I bought a used LaMarzocco Linea - the citric acid ate all of the old corrosion / minerals / scale
Yep as based on the pic provided it looks like some scale buildup and citric acid might do the trick. Should be fine on stainless, but can indeed dull chrome finishes. At the end of the day it's a drip tray that's pretty much hidden and I could live with it looking a bit funky as it serves a useful purpose as is.

Jessicabrown

Oct 11, 2022
USA
Visit site
Hi All! I'm new here. Nice forum(s)!

I have a cleaning question: My Rocket Cellini's drip tray has mega coffee and mineral stains and I can't find a product that will remove them. I've tried vinegar, vinegar and baking soda, CLR, Crud Cutter, WD-40, CAFIZA (which did help but not 100%), rubbing alcohol...and I'm out of ideas. The Cellini itself is spotless. It's only the drip tray.

Does anyone have any magic solutions to remove this crud? I even considered (I haven't done this yet) soaking it in ammonia which should not react with the stainless steel but this would be a last resort. Oh, and I have not tried scrubbing it with steel wool as I figured that would scratch the surface and lead to more problems. Any idea about Live Edge Coffee Tables?

Thank you all in advance
Hey, sorry for bumping thread.
Have you attempted using Bar Keepers Friend? It's a powerful cleaner specifically designed for stainless steel surfaces and can effectively tackle tough stains and mineral deposits. Apply it as directed, let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub gently with a non-abrasive sponge. Rinse thoroughly afterward. If Bar Keepers Friend doesn't fully remove the stains, you might need to resort to a stainless steel polish or contact the manufacturer for specialized advice. As a preventive measure, consider using a drip tray liner or regularly wiping down the tray after each use. Additionally, Live Edge Coffee Tables offer stylish alternatives to traditional designs.

MarcBeck

Top Poster Of Month
Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Hey, sorry for bumping thread.
Have you attempted using Bar Keepers Friend? It's a powerful cleaner specifically designed for stainless steel surfaces and can effectively tackle tough stains and mineral deposits. Apply it as directed, let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub gently with a non-abrasive sponge. Rinse thoroughly afterward. If Bar Keepers Friend doesn't fully remove the stains, you might need to resort to a stainless steel polish or contact the manufacturer for specialized advice. As a preventive measure, consider using a drip tray liner or regularly wiping down the tray after each use. Additionally, Live Edge Coffee Tables offer stylish alternatives to traditional designs.
Hi Jessica, actually I did. try Bar Keeper Friend but it didn't get the stains off. What worked the best was an denture table and a 30-60 minute soak....and that didn't get it off completely but it did the best job. Ultimately, I took someone on this thread's advice and accepted that it's a drip tray and I should just clean it and ignore the stains. Oh, and a long soak with hot water and CAFIZA helped too but didn't totally remove the stains. I didn't try soaking with descaler....maybe next time :)

Jessicabrown

Oct 11, 2022
USA
Visit site
Hi Jessica, actually I did. try Bar Keeper Friend but it didn't get the stains off. What worked the best was an denture table and a 30-60 minute soak....and that didn't get it off completely but it did the best job. Ultimately, I took someone on this thread's advice and accepted that it's a drip tray and I should just clean it and ignore the stains. Oh, and a long soak with hot water and CAFIZA helped too but didn't totally remove the stains. I didn't try soaking with descaler....maybe next time :)
Hmmm....alright. Thank you!