coffee aroma

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
I Love the coffee aroma in the morning
:-D

anybody know something about the psychology influence of the coffee aroma ? I think this is something interesting :D

manual_drip

Oct 9, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
The coffee vapors coming from a cup seem to relieve sinus irritation when I have a cold or allergies. Of course any moist hot air will do this but the coffee vapor seems to have a better effect.

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
I actually know many, many people who don't care for the taste of coffee in any form (not even coffee ice cream!) but absolutely love the smell of roasting coffee or brewed coffee.

Way geeky book on coffee chemistry.
http://www.chipsbooks.com/cofflav.htm

Site for the institute on coffee research http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/coffee/chemical.html

This is about as easy to digest as 5lbs of biscotti, but the last sentence helps explain why coffee smell does what it does to your brain.

-----

Green coffee beans contain up to 10% of chlorogenic acids, i.e., various isomers of hydroxy-cinnamoyl esters of quinic acid (a common plant constituent). Common to most plants and fruits, green coffee beans can contain as much as 10% of dry weight of chlorogenic acids. These are mixtures of mono- and di-esters of 3-substituted 4-hydroxycinnamic acid and quinic acid, a sugar-like molecule.

In the roasting process, approximately half of the chlorogenic acids lose a molecule of water, thereby forming an internal ester bond that results in a mixture of non-acidic quinolactones (quinides).

Brewing roasted coffee causes isomerisation of the quinides. This results in hundreds of different compounds, each with potentially unique pharmacological actions. Although few of these compounds are present in more than 0.3% of dry weight of coffee, each may contribute significantly to the effects of coffee as these compounds have chemical properties that allow ready entry into the brain. Furthermore, synergistic effects of different quinides acting on the same biological target may contribute to healthful coffee effects. The pharmacological effects of chlorogenic acids or quinides are mostly unknown. Of interest is a previous Australian report that 240 mg of ground coffee, approximately 1/5th of that contained in a 160 mL cup of coffee, displaced 50% of the binding of the opiate receptor antagonist [3H]naloxone. This suggests that this constituent of coffee may interact with the opiate system of the brain, which has been implicated in regulation of mood and well-being and in alcoholism and drug addiction.

Cuppa Joe

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
You may know there are a number of men's designer colognes (maybe even women's perfumes) that contain a coffee "note" in them, and many people like having that coffee note as part of their fragrance.

Some guys colognes with a coffee note:
A*Men by Thierry Mugler
Cristobal by Balenciaga
Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamo
Miracle Homme by Lancome