Coffee at work.

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
At my office there is one coffee maker for the 6 of us, noone realy spends time revolving around it, in fact it has been ignored for up to 6 months at a time in the backroom. Yet we all drink coffee, purchased from local cafés, or markets.

What is the coffee situation at your workplace? Would you like it improved and how? Please include what type of work you do. (I know a few roasters and others in the industry post here and obviously your coffee experience is different from a traditional office but I would still love to hear about it).

dspender

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
The coffee at my workplace is a nightmare. We have a rather nice Braun auto-drip coffeemaker but that's the end of the positives.

The coffee is put in the filter and the water is put in the 'hopper' the night (well, the afternoon actually) before so that the coffeemaker can be just turned on in the morning. :evil:

Even worse, the coffee used is Folgers bought in 3lb cans! Can it get worse? Yes! Since the coffeemaker is usually turned on by the first person at 7:20am, by the time most people get in at 8am, the coffee is old and burned.

Its a disaster and all I can do is bring in my own in a stainless steel thermos.

*sigh*

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
DD Coffee

Not even a coffee maker, where I work. Many bring a "Box o' Joe" from Dunkin' Donuts, or just a cup of their own. Local Green Mountain is available from a cafeteria, also.

I've got my own beans, grinder, and maker in my office, luckily. :)

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
I also go for the thermos flask approach most of the time. Normally I take my coffee black, but if I do use the departmental vending machine it forces me to use milk and sugar to disguise the taste. Actually, in that situation I normally go for the hot chocolate instead :D

Wulf

javagirl81

Sep 10, 2003
michigan
Visit site
I'm lucky in that I work at a coffee shop! As soon as I get there, I can make my double Americano and start my morning off right!

Plus, I get to make other people their morning joe :D

When I work at my other job, I just make sure I make a stop to the coffeehouse to bring my own. Can't depend on anyone else for my fix but myself!

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
We have the coffee maker here at work. One of the 20.00 buck deals and we have an espresso cart downstairs, she makes some of the best coffee and espressos. She is only there till about 11:00am or 12noon. So if i need my coffee from her I have to get my fix before she goes home :)

dspender

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
oh no!

This very second I hear the newly purchase coffee grinder working outside my office door. There's just one problem.

The coffee that's being ground is going into the filter right now so that its ready for monday morning!!! AUGH! :cry:

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
that is sad to hear dspender.

I ran across an article sunspot.net about how an office swapped out their old generic foldgers *cough*oldgers style coffee with some realy good beans and a grinder. I would think this would be best for work, almost as good as replacing the normal filtered water with caffeineated water (muahahhaha) .

I would think happier coffee drinkers, and more coffee consumed would make a Happy Caffeinated worker, I mean more productive employee happy to be in the office. =) interesting thoughts?

austexb

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
We have a vending machine that cosistently produces a brown liquid and a brewer that makes large batches into a thermal dispenser.

I once opened the carafe/dispenser. Aaarghhhh!!!!! I cleaned out all the creamy brown slime and made a 1.5 strengh Folger's batch, but haven't been back since. Sometimes I have visions of it when I sleep though.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am a coffee roaster....a coffee lovers dream...I have a whole coffee shop right outside my roastery! I can make anything anytime I want...but usually like it when the employees are there...so I do not have to make it! I am not the only spoiled one here...The executive offices just had me buy them grinders...so the Hawaiian Kona xtra-fancy and Jamaican Blue Mountain will be the freshest it can be(they only order 2 pounds of each at a time) They also had comercial brewers plumbed in for them! When I grow up I want their job... no I don't...I love mine! :D

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
i plan to bring in my grinder and a new brewer to work next week, I will first hand have every employee drinking coffee and being productive or at least give them a caffeine buzz :-D

spiridon

May 9, 2005
Visit site
:lol: :lol: I enjoyed reading thru this thread....the coffee situation here where I work is.....shall we say.....uh, SUB-STANDARD!!! :lol: :lol:
Fortunately I DO have two options that I choose from rather than try and "drink" the Folgers they brew in the auto-drip.

First choice is to run some fresh roasted home blend thru a press pot at home...and bring a thermos to work. Second choice (when time is a factor)....there IS a coffee shop two doors down which brews some respectable coffee....certainly better than what is offered here at the office.

SFG75

Dec 29, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
As a teacher, we are hooked on coffee, though my colleagues like their coffee "industrial strength" and rather rancid. :? At the beginning of the year, someone buys the "Butternut" container and people actually drink from the pot all morning. It is dull, tasteless, and burned to a crisp by the time I'm even desperate enough to consider it. The water in the lounge never gets above lukewarm and it's not uncommon for the last cupworth or two is still in the pot by the end of the day. I brew my coffee at home and carry it to work in a Thermos that lasts me the entire morning. I'm rather of a snob when it comes to my coffee, I actually like to taste it, as well as to savor the flavor that each cup provides. :lol: :lol:

Taking the heat for bad coffee at the office? Get your Bunns off the burner.

Get a Keurig machine. Totatally rocks. Everybody gets what they want, brewed when they want it. Dark roast, light roast, tea, organics, decaf. I've given away 5 of the machines to friends and they are the most commonly used kitchen appliance.

That said, I have an espresso machine at home so I don't drink Keurig brewed coffee.

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
in my old job, there was a Jura, like S9 just in black. I miss the coffee. Now in my new job we have a drip machine :( but I have the alternative of buy a nice capuccino in the coffee shop down :D