Coffee Bar

agfahy

Nov 27, 2005
Kansas
Visit site
Hello, everyone! I'm new to coffee forums. My husband and I are remodling our kitchen. We are adding a breakfast/coffee bar to it. If you could have anything in the world, what would you want to go with your coffee bar? Is there anything unique as far as tools, machines, etc that you would recommend? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Put something on it that you will actually use. Too many people go out and buy a nice looking machine that really spruces up the kitchen, but don't use it. So if you don’t drink espresso, don’t get a machine that make espresso or can double up and do both espresso and coffee!

agfahy

Nov 27, 2005
Kansas
Visit site
coffee bar

Yes, I love espresso! I make is almost every day for myself. I already own a Barista espresso maker. It has already paid for itself many times.
My husband mentioned getting some sort of rack to put syrups on. I mostly would like to make the coffee bar a place to socialize with friends and have fun making them espresso. I really need some ideas that would make the space convenient for making espresso or coffee without tons of clutter. I'm not very familiar with some of the new gadgets out there today, maybe there is something that could help. Also, I don't have a grinder for espresso. Any grinders that you would recommend for the home?

Thanks!

Andrea

Solis Maestro Plus for a grinder.

You might also consider upgrading your espresso machine at some point. I had a Saeco Rio Vapore, which was rebranded by Starbucks to be the Barista with a change to the portafilter. It was a good machine (now in the hands of my son's god-mother).

When I turned 40, I got a Isomac Millennium and I've never looked back.

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
handsink
water filtration unit
refrigerator
ice maker
storage
easy clean surfaces
built in knockbox
lighting

now for some fun stuff...

dual boiler espresso machine for ease of use and temperature control - La Spaz S1 or Expobar Brewtus or splurge on the LM GS3

quality grinder - any Mazzer model or maybe La Cimbali

Plan the placement of any holes (drains, waterlines, electric cords) beforehand...no sense making an oopsie in the new countertop.

agfahy

Nov 27, 2005
Kansas
Visit site
coffee bar

Good point about the holes and such.
I'm thinking of doing the bar top in the shape of a kidney bean. I will build the top out of plywood/MDF and laminating it with Wilsonart brushed stainless steel.
The cabinet below the bar top will be 48" long and have a wine/beer refrigerator plus lots of pull out storage. The counter top will be laminate for easy clean up. I like the thought of doing a utility sink but I don't know what the wife will think about that. Shes very concerned about clutter.
What is a knock box? I've see it in online stores but am unfamiliar with it.
We will post pics of our progress as the project progresses.

Eric