Coffee Bean Rankings

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to know how you would rank the following types of coffee beans.

Brazilian
Guatamalen
Columbian

Are there any others? How would you describe each coffee bean listed above? Is there really a difference b/t the 3? I have a coffee shop that I normally go to but they use columbian, but my brother found a place that has brazillian and guatamalen, and I wanted to know if it's worth going there. Thanks.

georgiacoffeelady

Jul 3, 2005
Gainesville, GA
Visit site
Bean Coffee Rankings

Each single origin coffee contains different taste profiles and it can vary depending on how the beans are roasted, but generally most good roasters will roast the beans so you will have the best taste profile for that particular single origin.

Brazilian Beans- Light to Med. Roast, generally mild, low acidity, and sweet
Guatemalan Beans- Light to Med Roast, Very Bright Acidity, Fruit and Choc. Notes.
Columbian-Med. Roast, Med. Acidity, Wine like body with Fruity notes.

Experiment go and see what is out their!!!! Most coffee shops offer more than one single origin. It is unusual to have a coffee shop just serve Columbian. Their are blends also, which take different origins, roast levels and it creates a different taste profile. Find a coffee shop that can educate you by doing taste tests or a traditional cupping.

When cupping coffee's you are looking for Fragrance, Aroma, Body, Acidity and After Taste.

I hope this helps!

The question is a lot like asking about wine origins by country.

How do French wines compare to Californian and Australian wines? There are some generalizations that can be made, but even within a country, there are many variations.

In Colombia and Guatemala, there are 10+ coffee growing regions. Antigua is different from San Marcos.

If you're asking at the country level, it is more for marketing reasons. Which origins are going to appeal to your customers. Given that you're working with Colombian right now, I'm going to guess your customers are not going to want to go into a Harrar or a Peaberry.

At that level, I would recommend Guatemala and Costa Rica before Brazil.

-James

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I concur with J.H. it's alot like tasting wines. There are several farms in most growing reigons around the world. One would have to be a dedicated student of coffee to appreciate the differences. :grin: Coffee is truly fun to cup (taste). Although I've been in the biz for over a dozen years, I'm still amazed when I learn or try something new. But I have to differ with you J.H. I prefer a good Brazil over a Costa :wink:

As for my taste in ranking the 3 you mentioned CuppED...I'd have to say Colombian, *Guat, and then Brazil. I put the "*" by Guat because it is very close in taste to Colombian. :wink:

mcohveca

Aug 21, 2005
PA
Visit site
Coffee Nuances

As stated earlier, each coffee growing region produces a different flavor profile. That could be further expanded to each estate within that courty that produced the coffee. Even FURTHER expanded, coffee grown on one side of the mountain could taste different from one grown on the opposing side!! To make things more interesting, the way the coffee is processed will create a different overall flavor. I find that Tom at Sweetmarias.com has an enormous amount of detailed information on his site. When I say detailed, I mean DETAILED!
That is what makes coffee so fascinating. It is a natural product, therefore not uniform, or 100% consistent.
If you buy from a certain estate one year, you had better cup the next crop to check for cositency.
Hope this helps.

Alex
Cohveca Coffee
www.cohvecacoffee.com

mcohveca

Aug 21, 2005
PA
Visit site
Coffee Nuances

As stated earlier, each coffee growing region produces a different flavor profile. That could be further expanded to each estate within that courty that produced the coffee. Even FURTHER expanded, coffee grown on one side of the mountain could taste different from one grown on the opposing side!! To make things more interesting, the way the coffee is processed will create a different overall flavor. I find that Tom at Sweetmarias.com has an enormous amount of detailed information on his site. When I say detailed, I mean DETAILED!
That is what makes coffee so fascinating. It is a natural product, therefore not uniform, or 100% consistent.
If you buy from a certain estate one year, you had better cup the next crop to check for consitency.
Hope this helps.

Alex
Cohveca Coffee
www.cohvecacoffee.com