Coffee Bean Review

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Is it the level of roast or is it the recipe used for the blend that makes it "Italian"?

(I can't believe I'm still asking this, after all these months. You guys are so secretive.)

That, my friend, is a very good question. After spending a hot and sultry summer picking the finest, plump and ripe cherries growing on the slopes of the Appenine and Dolomite Mountain ranges, and a nail biting July avoiding scalding steam and hand picking the rare Arabica Cicero and Arabica Pompei from Mt Etna and Vesuvius, I would like to think the Italian blend is 100% Italian grown coffee. I also note the Luna blend with interest. The coffee planted by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the moon is pretty close to maturity now. :grin:

In all seriousness I am not sure on this one. You see there is a North Italian, as well as regional Italian styles of roasting (primarily related to darkness of roast). However these in Italy are quite different from what you see overseas. North Italian in the US and Asia is quite dark, while roasters I saw actually roasting in the north of Italy were roasting appreciably lighter. Down in somewhere like Palermo, where I have a good friend whos family has been roasting for generations, very dark roasts are the norm.

So.... when I hear "Italian Blend" perhaps it relates to a particular blending that is suited to an Italian pallete. But (again) with all the regional taste differences (Robusta south of Napples, Arabica north of Bologna...then again I am not sure)

Maybe in this case the coffee is a blend chosen by a particular Italian who works for the roaster. So perhaps "Italian" is being used as a definative .... "The Italian(s) blend"?

Who got me started on this????? :wink: :roll:

willis joco

Feb 10, 2008
Australia
Visit site
The italian coffee blend is a mix of fine 100% Arabica coffee. It realy does come down to the roasting but also you must have the perfect bean that give the italian blend it srtong full flavour coffee. We will see..... maybe i will give you our blend for Italian blend.

What do you guys thinkof my website? what would you change?

If you want me to be a little picky, I would probably change "Expresso" to "Espresso" on the headings on your beans page > http://www.willisjococoffee.com.au/cata ... tcats=1025 . There are a few speilling erors (Meduim=Medium) that you could look at as well (although I am not one to correct on that count for sure). "Very great tasting coffee" could be substituted with "a great tasting coffee" etc. But all in all no problem :grin:

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Alun, thanks for adding to my confusions about blends vs. roasts. Funny and very creative. I wonder how much research you had to do to come up with that stuff.

I like Willis Joco's coffee website. Again, with the fine color schemes, I wanted to eat the front page. :D
I read somewhere that some countries (at least one) actually spell espresso with an "x". With the other spelling errors on this site, it's probably just one more.

To the left, under the Tea category, Tea Accessaries should be Tea Accessories.

Otherwise Willis, you have a well organized, easy to look at and navigate website there.

BTW - I'm in the U.S., so naturally, some of my spellings will differ from someone's like Alun's. For egg sample: organized vs. organised and color vs. colour.
Ha ha ha! Just kidding about the egg samples. :D

Egg Samples....I like it! :grin: In NZ we follow the Queens English, albeit with a twang, an 170 years abscence from propper grammar and elocution lessons and to ad to the confusion NZ English is spoken at three times the speed it is in the UK. It makes it difficult, because the only people we can effectively communicate with are the Australians, the South Africans (sometimes) and a bunch of Colonial castaways on a smattering of Pacific Islands (Pitcairn, Christmas etc).

Back to the website in question- indeed it is attractive. Not sure in this case about the Expresso - Espresso argument though...as the website is Aussie based I would tend strongly towards Espresso in spelling.

willis joco

Feb 10, 2008
Australia
Visit site
thanks for the pick up on the spelling errors i will get on to changing these problems ASAP. I am glad you enjoyed the site i spent some time designing and branding my company, so its good to hear you enjoyed it and the feed back is great. A least you tell me how it is, and not dodge telling me the flaws.

Thanks guys

Guatemalan Select

Apr 9, 2008
Guatemala
Visit site
size of the bean

Never mind, I found the answer from looking and digging alittle here on this site. A newbie to the site should make a habit of not asking information for at least a week or month till he has really read this forum...there is an incredible amount of information here.

Jon