Coffee Bean Review

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Re: size of the bean

Guatemalan Select said:
Never mind, I found the answer from looking and digging alittle here on this site. A newbie to the site should make a habit of not asking information for at least a week or month till he has really read this forum...there is an incredible amount of information here.

Jon

No prob Jon, most members are a bit awkward in their first few postings. I'm still awkward, but at least I know where the search button is now and it really has come in handy, many times for me.

You're right, there's plenty of good info here and you will also find an interesting flow to the forum as well.

I'm not sure what you were looking for, but congrats on finding it. :)

Guatemalan Select

Apr 9, 2008
Guatemala
Visit site
Thanks

I agree. This is really turning into quite a learning experience for me here in Guatemala.

Yesterday I met with a couple of my friends, one from Guatemala the other from El Salvador. They are both salesmen for the coffee industry. One sales coffee worldwide and the other sales processing equipment worldwide. The coffee sales person told me of his huge and I mean huge order that Japan is ordering. It seems that the coffee here in Guatemala won a cup of excellence award, but my friend went on to tell me that you can take the same bean, different roasting, different water temp for brewing, different grind and turn out 100’s of different tasting cups. It is interesting being on this side of the business…..you would not believe how much competition there is before harvest time here.

Jon

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
COE

Yes cup of excellence makes the price go way up but you are right if it is not processed ground or brewed correctly it could make a lot of difference in the taste. I heard that coffee grown on the same farm if it is processed differently can make it much better. I love the coffee you sent me by the way. It tastes great. I don't usually drink roasted ground coffee but I really enjoyed it.

ElPugDiablo

COE prices are not way up. It is priced through auction with a low starting price of $2 a pound. The price is set by willing buyers. Imagine Guatemala or El Salvador, both produce tons of coffee, and out of these only about 20 farms totaling 200~300 bags that scored more than 84 through rigorous judging are qualified as COE winners. As a participant of both COE Guatemalan last year and COE El Salvador this year, I can't say enough about the quality of these coffees and I am perfectly happy with the prices I paid.

Guatemalan Select

Apr 9, 2008
Guatemala
Visit site
pricing

I agree. As I sat and talked with my friend from El Salvador it really became apparent that the price of the coffee by the time it hits the consumer has no rhyme, reason, or relation to the bided price. It seems to be pure economics and what they ( the promotion managers) can get by with. The most important consideration in price setting/marketing coffee appears to be publicity, then the bean.

I am just starting my export business to the U.S. and I think as the gas/transport increases bean prices will have to show more competition to keep satisfying and secure their position in restaurants, convenience stores, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.

Jon

P.S. does anyone know of a good supplier of 2 ounce coffee bags with optional printing.

Guatemalan Select

Apr 9, 2008
Guatemala
Visit site
Need help with this please

Here is a question that I will throw out to the ones who have already been down this path and a big thanks ahead of time for taking the time to respond.

I have a close friend that is asking for some 2 oz. and 2.5 oz. samples. He is a supplier to over 4000 businesses such as restaurants, nursing homes, hotels and convenience stores he wants to supply with our coffee. At the very least we are talking about 10 - 20 thousand pounds of coffee per month. My contacts can handle that much, and although I was not wanting to start out that large....I can not pass this opportunity up.

Question?
Any idea on where I could get a supplier of small 2 -2.5 oz. bags, (ones I could put roasted grounds in) and who would do the printing on them?

Thanks again

Guatemalan Select
Jon Hutton

dekanita16

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi friends!!!!

Hi friends, how are you?
Here is a question that I will throw out to the ones who have already been down this path and a big thanks ahead of time for taking the time to respond. Cafeetrusca

I have a close friend that is asking for some 2 oz. and 2.5 oz. samples. He is a supplier to over 4000 businesses such as restaurants, nursing homes, hotels and convenience stores he wants to supply with our coffee. At the very least we are talking about 10 - 20 thousand pounds of coffee per month. My contacts can handle that much, and although I was not wanting to start out that large....I can not pass this opportunity up.